Improper Integrals: Divergence at x=0?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses how to check if two integrals, Int(1/(x^3-2x^2+x), from 0 to 1) and Int(1/(x^3+x^2-2x), diverge. The use of the ratio test is brought up, but it is mentioned that it is not the correct method for improper integrals. It is suggested to use limits to evaluate the integrals, and it is agreed upon that both integrals diverge due to the undefined endpoints.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Check if the following integrals diverge:
Int(1/(x^3-2x^2+x), from 0 to 1) and Int(1/(x^3+x^2-2x)

Homework Equations

Ratio-test(not sure if that's the name)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the problem and found that both integrals diverge at x=0. I just want to check if you guys agree with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ratio test is for infinite series, not a improper integrals. It would be helpful to see your work.

aaaa202 said:

Homework Statement

Check if the following integrals diverge:
Int(1/(x^3-2x^2+x), from 0 to 1) and Int(1/(x^3+x^2-2x)

Homework Equations

Ratio-test(not sure if that's the name)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the problem and found that both integrals diverge at x=0.
Both integrands are undefined at x = 0, which is why the integrals are improper. Both integrands are also undefined at the other endpoint, x = 1.

You need to use limits to evaluate these integrals - then you can decide whether either one diverges.
aaaa202 said:
I just want to check if you guys agree with me.

Okay ratio test was then not the correct name. What I did was use the test that if limx->0[g/f>0] then g also diverges if f diverges. So I took f as 1/x^3. Isn't this correct, and don't you guys get that both integrals diverge?

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have a finite value due to one or more of the following reasons: the interval of integration is infinite, the integrand is unbounded, or the integrand has a discontinuity within the interval of integration.

2. What is meant by "divergence at x=0" in the context of improper integrals?

Divergence at x=0 means that the integral is not defined at x=0 and thus does not have a finite value. This can occur when the integrand has a singularity or discontinuity at x=0.

3. Can an improper integral have a finite value even if it has divergence at x=0?

Yes, an improper integral can still have a finite value if it has divergence at x=0. This can happen if the integral is convergent for values of x close to 0, but diverges at x=0.

4. How can we determine if an improper integral has divergence at x=0?

We can determine if an improper integral has divergence at x=0 by evaluating the integral using different approaches, such as using limits or breaking the integral into smaller pieces. If the integral does not converge to a finite value, it has divergence at x=0.

5. Can we evaluate an improper integral with divergence at x=0?

No, we cannot evaluate an improper integral with divergence at x=0 as it does not have a finite value. However, we can still study its behavior and properties using different approaches, such as determining its convergence or divergence and finding its limits.