Improper Integrals - Are They Really Integrals?

• I
  • Thread starter FS98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, improper integrals are solutions to differential equations that have no boundary conditions, resulting in a set of possible solutions. They are also known as generic solutions and are distinct from definite integrals which have specific boundary conditions. Improper integrals require the use of limits to be solved.
FS98
I understand what improper integrals are, but are they really integrals? The semantics are just a bit confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
FS98 said:
I understand what improper integrals are, but are they really integrals? The semantics are just a bit confusing.
An integral ##\int f(x)\,dx## is a solution to ##F(x)'=f(x)##.
As long as there are no boundary conditions to this differential equation, many solutions are possible. Nevertheless, they still have to solve the equation. As such they are a kind of generic solution, the set of possible flows if you like, which we call improper integral (I think; here it is call undetermined). Fixing a boundary condition means to determine a single flow of the vector field, a single solution. So in a way, generic would be the better word, but that's semantics.

Likes FS98
fresh_42 said:
As long as there are no boundary conditions to this differential equation, many solutions are possible. Nevertheless, they still have to solve the equation. As such they are a kind of generic solution, the set of possible flows if you like, which we call improper integral (I think; here it is call undetermined). Fixing a boundary condition means to determine a single flow of the vector field, a single solution. So in a way, generic would be the better word, but that's semantics.
Wouldn’t that definition of an integral rule out definite integrals as integrals?

material-M9SEYXSy.png

https://www.geogebra.org/m/M9SEYXSy

Do arbitrary paths through this vector field deserve the name solution or only the unique blue one, which required a deliberate choice? That's a discussion for a Wittgenstein seminar, not a matter of mathematics. The word integral refers to a solution and it serves its purpose. Nobody would benefit from a distinction here other than in the adjective. It still distinguishes all routes through this field, which do not follow a flow.

Attachments

• material-M9SEYXSy.png
    material-M9SEYXSy.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 341
fresh_42 said:

Hi,
I do believe that is an indefinite integral.
An improper integral on the other hand is defined as an integral that has these:

1. One or both of the limits of integration are
[tex] \pm \infty [/tex]

and/ or:

2. The function is not bounded over the domain of integration.[tex]
\forall x \in \text[a,b] \,\, \, \nexists \text{m} \in \mathbb{R} \, \, \text{s.t} \, \, |f(x)| \le \text{m}
[/tex]

To solve improper integrals, one has to use limits.
The example above is of an indefinite integral.
This is an example of an improper integral:

[tex] \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{5} \frac{1}{x} dx =
\displaystyle\lim_{b \to -\infty} \displaystyle \int_{b}^{5} \frac{1}{x} dx
[/tex]

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
which we call improper integral (I think; here it is call undetermined).
Maybe you're confusing the English terms "indefinite integral" and "improper integral."

K Murty said:
I do believe that is an indefinite integral.
Yes, I agree, and I agree with your definition of an improper integral.

Mark44 said:
Maybe you're confusing the English terms "indefinite integral" and "improper integral."
Yes, I did. I couldn't imagine or have forgotten that there is a certain name for integrals with ##\pm \infty## as boundaries. And "undetermined" as literal translation is of course basically the same word as indefinite. Thanks.

FS98 said:
Yes they are integrals, just that they require limits to be solved. I suggest you google Riemann sum. I think the reason they are called improper is because the summation uses limits, I am not sure as to the why they are named so.

Here is the simplest example, again:
[tex] \displaystyle \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{e^{x} } dx =
\displaystyle\lim_{b \to \infty} \displaystyle \int_{1}^{b} \frac{1}{e^{x} } dx = [ \displaystyle\lim_{b \to \infty} \left(-\frac{1}{e^{b} } \right)] -[ - \frac{1}{e}] = \frac{1}{e}
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that has one or both of its limits of integration as infinity or a point of discontinuity in the interval of integration. This means that the integral is not defined in the traditional sense and requires special techniques to evaluate.

2. How do you determine if an integral is improper?

An integral is improper if one or both of its limits of integration is infinity or if there is a point of discontinuity in the interval of integration. Additionally, if the function being integrated is not defined at one of the limits of integration, the integral is also considered improper.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral is one that has a finite value when evaluated, while a divergent improper integral is one that does not have a finite value and therefore cannot be evaluated. This means that a convergent improper integral exists, while a divergent improper integral does not.

4. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, you can use special techniques such as the limit comparison test or the comparison test to find its value. If it is divergent, the integral cannot be evaluated and is considered to be undefined.

5. Why are improper integrals important?

Improper integrals are important because they allow us to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be impossible to evaluate in the traditional sense. They also have many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, where they are used to solve problems involving infinite quantities or discontinuous functions.