Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Improper Integration

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ixw7ie.jpg

3The attempt at a solution

5d3wbr.jpg

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, it looks fine to me.

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    Do I need to show that I'm approaching 4 from the right?

5. Apr 17, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say you are approaching 4 from the left. t<4, correct? Why would you want to approach from the right?

6. Apr 17, 2010 #5
    Because if I were approaching ln|x-4| from the right, the graph goes to -∞. How could you approach it from the left?

Or am I supposed to approach the original graph of 1/(x^2 -3x -4) from the left?

7. Apr 17, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem with your integral is at x=4. To resolve it as an improper integral you want to integrate from x=0 to x=4-epsilon where epsilon>0. That means you are approaching the upper limit from the left. You don't care what the limit is from the right.

8. Apr 17, 2010 #7
    So even though the limit is approaching 4 from the left at ln|x-4|, we're infact evaluating the limit as it approaches 4 from the left of 1/(x^2-3x-4)?

9. Apr 17, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now you are just confusing me. You are approaching x=4 from the left. Period. Approaching ln|x-4| from the left gives you the behavior of the integral of 1/(x^2-3x-4) on the interval [0,4].

10. Apr 18, 2010 #9
    This is what I was confused about.

66mc28.jpg

In the graph above, you can approach 4 from the right but not from the left.

11. Apr 18, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's an absolute value, temaire. |x-4|. Doesn't that mean anything to you? :)

12. Apr 18, 2010 #11
    Oh, so this is the graph. (x is from 3 to 5)

11maiqc.jpg

I understand now.

13. Apr 18, 2010 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook