1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper rotation matrix

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    In Goldstein there is a problem asking to find a vector representation for a reflection in a plane of a unit normal [tex]\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/tex]. I find it to be

[tex] \mathbf{r'} = \mathbf{r} - 2(\mathbf{r\cdot \hat{n}})\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/tex]

and it has a corresponding transformation matrix with elements

[tex]A_{ij} = \delta_{ij} - 2l_i l_j[/tex]

where [tex]l_i\, , i=1,2,3[/tex] are the direction cosines for the orientation of the plane. Goldstein then asks to show that this matrix is an improper orthogonal one. I can show orthogonality by simply noting that [tex]A^T = A[/tex], and then I multiply [tex]A^2 = I[/tex], which shows that [tex]A^T = A^{-1}[/tex], which is the condition for orthogonality.

However, the improper nature of the matrix is unclear to me. If I compute the determinant, by explicitly writing out the form of the matrix, the result I obtain is +1, instead of -1:

[tex] \text{det}(A) = \begin{vmatrix}
    1-l_1^2 & -l_1 l_2 & -l_1 l_3\\
    -2l_1 l_2 & 1-2l_2^2 & -2l_2 l_3\\
    -2l_1 l_3 & -2l_2 l_3 & 1-2l_3^2\end{vmatrix} = 1[/tex]

Does it mean that the matrix is a proper one? Or is there an error in the problem statement, or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

If I set l1=l2=0, and l3=1, your matrix is diagonal with entries 1, 1, -1, which obviously has det = -1. So I think you must have made a mistake taking the determinant.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Oh yeah, that's right. Conclusion: don't drink behind the table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?