Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Improve database search?

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    Hello,

May I suggest an improvement to the forum: provide more advance techniques to search. For example, suppose I wanted to find out everything regarding convergence of the following integral:

[tex]\int_0^{1/2}\frac{x^{a-1}}{\ln(x)}dx[/tex]

Over 2 million entries seems like such a wonderful database of math. However obtaining the information seems to be difficult.

Is is possible to write a db search engine and input: "convergence of \int_0^{1/2}\frac{x^{a-1}}{\ln(x)}dx" and have it search not only my string but the integral in general even with different letters and use of log or Log or other limits of integration?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    Sounds fantastic, when do you get started? :tongue2:

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    Hello Mr. Bernhardt. I'm optimistic it can be done without knowing the format of the database but even if it's straight ASCII searches I would think something could be done. You have a unique compilation of math here probably equivalent to Mathworld and in some ways better. I suspect this will happen sometime in the future.

Thanks for making PF available to us. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook