Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improve text scrolling

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do I improve text scrolling of my computer? It used to work fine, but I reinstalled windows and now when I scroll the text moves along in a staggered fasion, not smooth :(

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure that there's a simple answer to your question. You might want to check if something is running in the background. The staggering is likely to occur if the computer is running low on memory, or if something is eating a lot of cpu cycles.

Also, if you're running something like word, and the document you're opening is huge, you might have issues.

4. Sep 16, 2004 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go into your control panel and check to see how many lines one notch scrolls at a time.

You may also want to re-install the drivers if you have a special mouse (optical, wireless, usb, etc.)

5. Sep 17, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many lines a notch scrolls? How do I check that?

It's not my cpu, I'm using up only 1% of it and I've got a fast computer, even faster now that I've reinstalled windows.

I noticed some of my devices are not installed, one of them PCI FLASH Memory and a Video Controller... I guess I should try and get those working :tongue2:

6. Sep 17, 2004 #5
    Well it depends on your mouse. Try this:

Click Start > Control Panel > Mouse. There should be a tab somewhere called "wheel" or similar.

You've just identified your problem! :approve: No video controller usually equals choppy frame rates, especially in Windows. Reinstall the drivers for your graphics adapter, and it should all be working nicely. I've had the same problem when reloading Windows and forgetting about my video card drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
  7. Sep 17, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have a mouse :tongue:

8. Sep 17, 2004 #7
    You don't have a mouse, or you don't have 'mouse' in your control panel? :tongue2:

Is there something in control panel called "input devices" or something like that? If there is, that should be the same as mouse.

Did you mouse come with any software drivers, usually on CD? If so, then install your mouse drivers. "Mouse" should be in your control panel now, or your should be able to find the software for your mouse in your start menu.

If you don't have any mouse drivers, check your mouse to see what type of mouse it is. Make sure you include all the details, eg "IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0A USB". Search google for the mouse drivers for your mouse, and then install them.

Andy
    AMW Bonfire

9. Sep 17, 2004 #8
    Pointing devices vs computer mice

Monique does not have a mouse.

Monique does not have a mouse. She has a laptop and probably uses the trackpad to both control the pointer on the screen and to scroll (via the virtual vertical scroll strip on the right-hand portion of the pad).

Monique, it sounds like your drivers are messed up. A couple of things you can do are to

• launch pointing device properties and fiddle with the settings;

and,

• install the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

The two most popular makers of trackpads are Alps and Synaptics. You might have an icon for your pointing device in the lower right-hand corner of your screen. You should be able to right-click on that to get information about your device (and to get to utility windows that allow you to adjust various pointing device settings). Once you know the manufacter's name, you can download the latest device drivers from the appropriate link I put in this paragraph (Alps drivers seem to be hard to find, so I linked to a google search).

Also, I have sometimes had problems with jumpy scrolling (I use a laptop also) that solved themselves with a simple reboot (I normally don't ever shut my computer down; I hibernate it instead).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  10. Sep 17, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WhOOHOO! I reinstalled the video controller and now it's fast & smooth :surprised :biggrin: :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?