Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Improvements in Mammography

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Something to watch for in the future.

New near-infrared contrast agent reveals bone- and breast-cancer-related microcalcifications
    http://www.wiley-vch.de/vch/journals/2002/press/200740press.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More sensitivity = good.

This does not sound like a simple first line option for detecting breast cancer.
    It's require a good-sized clinic to implement this in case of backup needed for problems secondary to the injections, for example. Maybe I'm wrong

What we need is something with the sensitivity this procedure purports to give, rolled into a procedure something dones easily a small clinic in Teec Nos Pos Arizona. IMO.

Sometimes we "technicalize" our solutions to the point where their deployment is limited to urban people who already have great options, while the folks who need more help cannot get it.

Then again, maybe I've got it all wrong....

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree that it sounds unlikely to be used as a first line of screening...too invasive for routine screening if you need to inject a contrast agent. But, it may be useful as a non-surgical means of verifying a suspicious result on a mammogram, or for screening high risk patients (such as those who have already had cancers removed) who would want to catch some recurrence very early.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?