Improving auto efficiency

• Thread starter PRDan4th
  • Start date
Why can't we improve the efficiency (miles/gallon) of ICE autos?

It seems to me there are two areas that can be used to add efficiency:

1) Heat recovery with some form of a "bottoming cycle" to generate additional torque or electricity from heat lost in the radiator, and

2) Breaking energy - generating electricity from engaging an alternator when the brake pedal is used, or maybe when the driver takes his foot of the gas. A lot of energy is wasted in breaking.

These may be more important in hybrid vehicles where electricity is being used in a greater proportion of the fuel mix.

Has anyone here looked at this?

Answers and Replies

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Why can't we improve the efficiency (miles/gallon) of ICE autos?

It seems to me there are two areas that can be used to add efficiency:

1) Heat recovery with some form of a "bottoming cycle" to generate additional torque or electricity from heat lost in the radiator, and

2) Breaking energy - generating electricity from engaging an alternator when the brake pedal is used, or maybe when the driver takes his foot of the gas. A lot of energy is wasted in breaking.

These may be more important in hybrid vehicles where electricity is being used in a greater proportion of the fuel mix.

Has anyone here looked at this?
These are all good ideas. And they are already being implemented by various companies around the world. You might want to check the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=232274" for even more ideas.

I'm working on a gas, steam, electric, pneumatic, hydraulic, spring, and flywheel hybrid vehicle. With pedals as an option of course.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: