Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improving problem solving skills

1. May 16, 2013 #1
    I've often been plagued by the thought of being unintelligent and slow compared to others. I seem to take much longer to understand concepts and work out problems. With that said, I do really well at school (but also put in much more time than others). I'm also quite obsessive when it comes to understanding something, which often causes me trouble.

I think solving problems for me takes much longer than compared to others. Also I seem to get stuck on simple things or overlook something simple and it will only 'click' a few hours or maybe even days later.

People say keep practicing - but I do keep learning and working on things but I think I'm still really slow.

Are there any good resources in terms of rewiring my thought process? strategy? thinking? etc

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2
    Read and memorize. Specifically the type of problems you work with (i.e. mathematics, logical, physical etc.)

4. May 16, 2013 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

In addition to practice, as surprise suggests, I advise developing a consistent, methodical approach to solving problems. George Pólya's How to Solve It is a great book in that regard. It's inexpensive and would be well worth your time.

5. May 16, 2013 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

That is a great book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook