Improving your eyes?

• Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary: Some exercises can help you improve your field of vision, but they won't correct other vision problems. You can use glasses or contacts, but you may have to try different types to find the ones that are comfortable for you.
Ki Man
do any of yo know any ways to improve your vision other than laser eye surgery and corrective contacts?

i've heard of eye exercises like this :uhh: but my optometrist said that was mainly a relaxation thing, it won't repair your eyes

Physics news on Phys.org
I know exercises that can help you improve your field of vision and stuff like that. but I don't think you can greatly improve actual sharpness of vision through exercises, seeing as (expun the cuse) that is more of a physical deformation of the actual eye.. especially not to the point of no longer needing glasses.

just like you can train a person to hear better in the sense of understanding sound more keenly and notice things they couldn't before, but you can't train someone to hear, say, a 30 khz sine (unless they are some sort of human/bat hybrid... THEY LIVE AMONG US PEOPLE! DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU WHEN THE BAT PEOPLE FINALLY TAKE OVER! )

Ki Man said:
i've heard of eye exercises like this :uhh: but my optometrist said that was mainly a relaxation thing, it won't repair your eyes
True, it will not repair your eyes. It cannot correct astigmatism or myopia, etc...

Ki Man said:
do any of yo know any ways to improve your vision other than laser eye surgery and corrective contacts?
Glasses. :biggrin:

Yes, eye exercises help if your vision problems are due to eye strain or fatigue. They can also help correct a lazy eye by strengthening the weak muscles. But they won't correct other vision problems.

How about contacts?
Anyone have any problems with using them?

Ive been thinking about loosing my glasses and switching to contacts, but I am quite unsure about putting things in my eye :S

Any comments? Advise on type of contacts? Past experiences?

Always read under bright diffuse light. Don't stick long sharp needles into your eyes. Eat carrots.

renigade666 said:
How about contacts?
Anyone have any problems with using them?

Ive been thinking about loosing my glasses and switching to contacts, but I am quite unsure about putting things in my eye :S

Any comments? Advise on type of contacts? Past experiences?

I use contacts and would never ever ever ever go back to glasses. but you have to get some of the new high quality contacts like acuvue oasis... or else they can become itchy or dry (if your a person who needs it on all day), even acuvue 2 would itch, but the new ones I got I never even feel.

glasses used to give me headaches, plus you can always see the frame which is annoying, and they get dirty... all of this is gone with contacts. and after the first week or two, sticking it in your eye stops feeling weird.

only problem with lenses is that some of them can get itchy after long periods of daily use. and if you forget you have them on and go to sleep with them on, you wake up and your eyes look and feel like you got pinkeye or something.

Chi Meson said:
Eat carrots.

no brussel sprouts?

Brussel sprouts! Who invented THOSE? They should be smaller. Don't stick them in your eyes either. Only carrots.

Chi Meson said:
Only carrots.

to stick in his eyes, right? (-:

It is scientifically documented that improvment of vision (in a senese of sharpness) is possible through autogenic training and visualisation exercises, but only just a little bit.

Javacano said:
It is scientifically documented that improvment of vision (in a senese of sharpness) is possible through autogenic training and visualisation exercises, but only just a little bit.

i think your success may depend on why you have glasses. like shoving carrots in your eyes

1. How can I improve my eyesight naturally?

There are several natural methods that can help improve your eyesight, such as regularly exercising your eyes, eating a healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals, and taking breaks from electronic screens. Additionally, practicing good eye hygiene, like avoiding rubbing your eyes and getting enough sleep, can also contribute to better vision.

2. Can eye exercises really improve my vision?

While there is no scientific evidence that eye exercises can permanently improve vision, they can help alleviate eye strain and improve eye muscle strength. Some eye exercises may also help with certain eye conditions, but it is important to consult with an eye doctor before incorporating them into your routine.

3. Is it possible to reverse nearsightedness or farsightedness?

Unfortunately, nearsightedness (myopia) and farsightedness (hyperopia) are usually permanent conditions that cannot be reversed. However, they can be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. It is important to visit an eye doctor regularly to monitor any changes in your vision and determine the best course of treatment.

4. What role do diet and nutrition play in eye health?

Nutrition is crucial for maintaining healthy eyes. Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids can help protect against age-related vision problems, such as cataracts and macular degeneration. Additionally, certain vitamins and minerals, like vitamin A, C, and E, and zinc, are essential for good eye health.

5. How can I protect my eyes from digital eye strain?

Digital eye strain, also known as computer vision syndrome, is a common problem for people who spend a lot of time looking at screens. To prevent digital eye strain, it is important to take frequent breaks, adjust your screen settings to reduce glare, and practice the 20-20-20 rule (look away from the screen every 20 minutes and focus on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds).