Make an Improvised Dust Filter Now!

In summary, the individual is cleaning their computer with high pressure air and needs a way to filter the air. They are concerned about dust settling on their floor and furniture and ask for a solution. The conversation suggests using a large plastic bag or shampooing the carpet, but the individual is not interested in shampooing the carpet. They also mention the weight of their computer tower and joke about it being a good weight for penguin love.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok I am cleaning out my comptuer with some high pressure air... and i need a way to filter the air... and i need it now! I'm going to have big gusts of wind flying out of my computer full of dust and it don't want it to just all settle on my floor and on the furniture. save me batman! save meeeee :cry: :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Call me silly (*pause*), but it seems to me that if you don't want any dust on your floor and furniture, you could carry out this procedure someplace where your floor and furniture are not!

That means disconnecting everything and bringing it downstairs and outside :( and this tower probably weighs 50 lb (its practically a server).

Okay fine. You could separate the computer from its environment. Say... with a large, plastic bag.

Though I really don't see why you're avoiding wielding the vacuum cleaner in the first place...

pff, vacuum cleaners sucK :) I guess ill just bring it downstairs and dust it :D.

haha, it weighed in at a sexy 57.5lb

Pengwuino said:
haha, it weighed in at a sexy 57.5lb
That some kind of idea weight for penguin love or something?

Hey, we saw your carpet when you posted that picture of the bookcase; it needs to be shampooed anyway, so why worry about a little dust? :tongue:

You have how much of a dust cloud emitting from your computer parts?

Edit: dammit, dammi, "cloud" not "could". I really love the edit feature here, moonbear.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Hey, we saw your carpet when you posted that picture of the bookcase; it needs to be shampooed anyway, so why worry about a little dust? :tongue:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: shut up, I am never shampooing this carpet!

It won't help, penguin feces stains bad.

1. How do I make an improvised dust filter?

To make an improvised dust filter, you will need a clean cloth or fabric, a rubber band, and a pair of scissors. Cut the fabric into a square shape and fold it in half twice to create four layers. Secure the layers together with a rubber band and place it over your mouth and nose to filter out dust particles.

2. What materials can I use to make an improvised dust filter?

You can use a variety of materials to make an improvised dust filter, such as a clean t-shirt, bandana, or scarf. The key is to have multiple layers of fabric to effectively filter out dust particles.

3. How effective is an improvised dust filter compared to a store-bought one?

An improvised dust filter may not be as effective as a store-bought one, but it can still provide some level of protection against dust particles. However, it is important to note that improvised filters should not be used as a substitute for proper protective gear.

4. How often should I replace an improvised dust filter?

If you are using an improvised dust filter for outdoor activities, it is recommended to replace it every day or if it becomes visibly dirty. If you are using it for indoor tasks, such as cleaning or woodworking, it is best to replace it after each use.

5. Can I wash and reuse an improvised dust filter?

Yes, you can wash and reuse an improvised dust filter. Make sure to clean it with hot water and soap, and let it dry completely before using it again. However, it is still recommended to replace the filter regularly for optimal effectiveness.