What is the average force exerted on a bouncing steel ball?

In summary: The ball changed velocity and momentum. In summary, the ball changes momentum and velocity when it strikes the wall.
Knfoster

Homework Statement

A 2.18 kg steel ball strikes a massive wall at 12.6 m/s at an angle of a = 55.1o with the plane of the wall. It bounces off with the same speed and angle (as seen in the figure below). If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.152 s, what is the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

Homework Equations

mv/change in t = average force
v=sq. root 2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried finding the impulse and then dividing it by the .152 sec. but I keep getting the wrong answer. Could someone please walk me through the equations and steps? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Knfoster said:

Homework Statement

A 2.18 kg steel ball strikes a massive wall at 12.6 m/s at an angle of a = 55.1o with the plane of the wall. It bounces off with the same speed and angle (as seen in the figure below). If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.152 s, what is the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

Homework Equations

mv/change in t = average force
v=sq. root 2gh

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried finding the impulse and then dividing it by the .152 sec. but I keep getting the wrong answer. Could someone please walk me through the equations and steps? Thanks!

What is the Δ in momentum?

momentum= mass(velocity)...2.18*12.6=27.5

Knfoster said:
momentum= mass(velocity)...2.18*12.6=27.5

But what was the Δ in momentum.

Think x,y components.

Resolve the initial and final velocity vectors to find out which component undergoes a change.

v1 prime would be -v1
v2 prime would be 0

how does that fit into the problem?

Knfoster said:
v1 prime would be -v1
v2 prime would be 0

how does that fit into the problem?

Impulse requires knowing the Δ in momentum.

Now not all the momentum changes here. For instance the momentum || to the wall is unchanged after contacting the wall.

But the ⊥ component has a change. Figure that change as I think you will be needing it.

I don't understand... Is that not just the negative of the velocity?

Knfoster said:
I don't understand... Is that not just the negative of the velocity?

Negative of the original velocity means that it returned in the direction it came.

It did not.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time. It is a measure of how much force is applied to an object over a certain period of time.

2. How is impulse related to average force?

Impulse is directly proportional to average force. This means that the greater the impulse, the greater the average force applied to the object.

3. How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force applied to an object by the time period over which it is applied. It can be expressed as the equation: Impulse = Average Force x Time.

4. What are the units of impulse and average force?

The SI unit for impulse is Newton-seconds (N∙s) and for average force is Newtons (N). However, other units such as pound-seconds (lb∙s) and pounds (lb) can also be used.

5. How is impulse and average force used in real-life situations?

Impulse and average force are important concepts in understanding the motion of objects. They are commonly used in sports, such as in calculating the force behind a golf swing or a baseball pitch. They are also used in car safety, as the impulse and average force during a collision can help determine the severity of injuries. In physics experiments, impulse and average force are used to study the effects of forces on different objects.