How Is Impulse Calculated in Baseball Physics?

In summary, the magnitude of the impulse delivered to the baseball is 6.541 kg*m/s and the average force exerted by the bat on the ball is 6000.917431 N. This is calculated by taking into account the direction of the velocities and dividing the impulse by the time. The high value of the average force is expected in this scenario as baseballs are known to come off bats with great force.
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

A(n) 0.142 kg baseball is thrown with a speed
of 19.5 m/s. It is hit straight back at the
pitcher with a final speed of 26.6 m/s.
What is the magnitude of the impulse delivered
to the ball?
Answer in units of kg · m/s

(part 2) Find the average force exerted by the bat on
the ball if the two are in contact for 0.00109 s.
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

F*t=mvf-mvi

The Attempt at a Solution

m= 0.142 and vf = 26.6, so mvf = 3.772, vi = 19.5 so mvi = 2.769
3.772 - 2.769 = 1.0082
which was wrong of course...
i think i need to do something with the t in the equation, but there is no t given in the problem

i also tried it with vi = 0, since velocity would be zero while the ball s on the bat, but that answer (3.772) was wrong as well

Physics news on Phys.org
GiantSheeps said:
m= 0.142 and vf = 26.6, so mvf = 3.772, vi = 19.5 so mvi = 2.769
3.772 - 2.769 = 1.0082
which was wrong of course...
i think i need to do something with the t in the equation, but there is no t given in the problem
You forgot to take the direction (and thus the sign) of the velocities into account.

Likes GiantSheeps
Hi,

Is the ball hit in the same direction it is first thrown?

Likes GiantSheeps
oh okay i see, so instead of 3.772 - 2.769, it would be 3.772 + 2.769 = 6.541?

it is! thank you so much! for the second part of the question, I would divide the impulse by the time? 6.541/.00109 = 6000.917431 ... that seems a bit large though...

oh wait nevermind, this is a baseball being hit off of a bat, those things come off HARD. haha if anything that 6000 number seems a bit on the small side... it is the correct answer though so thank you thank you so much

What is impulse in relation to baseball?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. In baseball, impulse is important because it helps to determine the speed and direction of the ball after it is hit or thrown.

How does the impulse-momentum theorem apply to baseball?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied to it multiplied by the time over which the force is applied. In baseball, this means that the force of the bat hitting the ball over a short period of time results in a change in momentum of the ball, causing it to move in a specific direction.

What factors affect the impulse in a baseball game?

The impulse in a baseball game can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the ball, the force and angle of the hit or throw, and the type of surface the ball is interacting with (e.g. grass, dirt, bat, glove).

How can understanding impulse help players improve their performance in baseball?

By understanding impulse, players can learn how to control the force and direction of their hits or throws. They can also use this knowledge to adjust their technique and improve their overall performance in the game.

What other sports or activities involve the concept of impulse?

Impulse is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied to various sports and activities such as basketball, soccer, football, and even golf. It also plays a role in everyday activities such as walking, running, and jumping.