Impulse and collision help

In this case, the final velocity is 8.57 m/s. Since there is no change in momentum, the impulse is 0.
cary5
1. A car of mass 1500 kg traveling at 20 m/s hits a parked car of mass 2000
kg. The two cars stick together.
a. Find the velocity of the cars after the collision
b. Determine the impulse

i know that the momentom befor the collition is 30,000 how can i use that to find the Vf

Physics news on Phys.org

use conservation of momentum to find the final velocity.

total initial momentum = total final momentum

yinx said:
use conservation of momentum to find the final velocity.

total initial momentum = total final momentum

ok so hier is wat i did
Pbefor=Pafte
30,000=3500*Vf
8.57=Vf

and since the change in p is the same befor and after then the change in p would be 0 and therefor the impuls would be 0

m i rite?

thats right

a. To find the velocity of the cars after the collision, we can use the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. In this case, the initial momentum of the system is 30,000 kg*m/s (since the two cars are sticking together), and the final momentum is equal to the mass of the combined cars (3500 kg) multiplied by the final velocity (Vf). So we can set up the equation: 30,000 kg*m/s = 3500 kg * Vf. Solving for Vf, we get a final velocity of approximately 8.57 m/s.

b. The impulse can be calculated using the formula I = F * t, where I is the impulse, F is the average force applied during the collision, and t is the time over which the force was applied. We can find the average force by using the equation F = m * (Vf - Vi)/t, where m is the mass of the car (1500 kg) and Vi is the initial velocity (20 m/s). We know that the time of the collision is very short, so we can assume it to be around 0.1 seconds. Plugging in the values, we get F = 1500 kg * (8.57 m/s - 20 m/s)/0.1 s, which gives us an average force of approximately -114,300 N (the negative sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity). Therefore, the impulse is approximately -11,430 N*s, or 11,430 kg*m/s in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

1. What is impulse and collision?

Impulse and collision refer to the transfer of momentum between two objects during a collision or impact. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity. When two objects collide, the total momentum of the system is conserved, meaning it remains the same before and after the collision.

2. How is impulse related to collision?

Impulse is a term used to describe the change in momentum during a collision. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied during the collision by the time it acts. This change in momentum is equal and opposite for both objects involved in the collision, as stated by Newton's third law.

3. What factors affect the impulse and collision during a collision?

The impulse and collision during a collision are affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the duration of the collision, and the angle of impact. The properties of the objects, such as their elasticity and shape, also play a role in determining the outcome of the collision.

4. How is the conservation of momentum applied in real-life situations?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle of physics and applies to all collisions in real-life situations. Whether it is a car crash, a sport like billiards or football, or even a simple game of catching a ball, the total momentum of the system remains constant before and after the collision. This principle is also utilized in engineering and design to ensure the safety and efficiency of structures and machines.

5. How can impulse and collision be calculated and measured?

Impulse and collision can be calculated using the formula I = FΔt, where I is the impulse, F is the average force applied during the collision, and Δt is the time interval in which the force acts. This can be measured using various instruments such as force sensors and motion detectors. The change in momentum can also be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is the change in momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity.