A 3500 lb Honda traveling 50 mph west veers into the approaching lane and runs head on into a 10,000 lb truck traveling 45 mph the other way.
Scenario 1. The two vehicles become 1 (no loss of car parts).
Scenario 2. The cars separate with the Honda going backwards at 30 mph.
For each scenario, determine the following:
1. Initial total momentum
2. Final velocity of each car.
3. Impulse acting on each vehicle (delta p)
4. Assuming the collision impact lasts 0.12 sec. What force acted on each vehicle.
5. What acceleration did each vehicle endure for the 0.12 seconds.
6. Make a conclusion about which conclusion is worse?
7. Determine the KE before and after for each vehicle (assuming no lost mass.)
8. Determine the amount of KE converted to other forms.
9. List several forms of energy that could have been increased by the mahem.
p = m1v1 + m2v2
vf1 = m1v1/m1+m2, vf2 = m2v2/m1+m2
delta p = (m1vf1 + m2vf2) - (- m1vi1 + m2vi2)
F = m (delta v/delta t)
a = F/m
The Attempt at a Solution
To attempt at a solution, I used the formulas above.
Also, how does scenario 1 differ from 2?