1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse and Max Force

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 200 g ball is dropped from a height of 1.9 m, bounces on a hard floor, and rebounds to a height of 1.5 m. The figure shows the impulse received from the floor.
    What maximum force does the floor exert on the ball?

09.P29.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Kinetics:
    x-xo = vot + 0.5at2
    v2 = v02 + 2a(x - xo)
    v = vo + at

Momentum and Force:
    SF*dt = dP = m*dv

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was calculate the velocity of the ball just as it hit the ground (-6.10m/s) and just as it rebounded (5.42m/s).
    Then, using these I found the dv (5.42 + 6.10 = 11.52m/s) and plugged that into the momentum equation:
    dP = m * dv
    dP = 0.2 * 11.52 = 2.304 = SFdt

From here I don't know how to calculate the maximum force, as I know virtually nothing about integrals. Also, my work so far is probably wrong somewhere so some help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    I'm in mechanics and i have not seen a question about max force. But i'll try this. From the graph we can see the Impulse which is the area under the curve is (1/2)(0.005s)F_max
    This is equal to the change in momentum which we can calculate.

So F_max = 2*(p2-p1)/0.005

Where p2-p1 = m(v2-v1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook