What is the direction of the impulse in this problem?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of impulse using the equation impulse = Δp and the attempt at solving a specific problem involving an impulse of 4.28NS. The correct magnitude was determined, but the direction was initially incorrect and later corrected to be in the negative direction.
isukatphysics69
impusle.PNG
1. Homework Statement

In picture above

Homework Equations

impulse = Δp[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

4.28NS = Δp
4.28NS = pfinal - pinitial
4.28NS + 0.18kg*0.16m/s = pfinal
(4.28NS + 0.18kg*0.16m/s)/.18kg = vfinal
vfinal = 39.77777778m/s

Now i got the direction incorrect but the magnitude correct. i am unsure of how i was supposed to
determine the direction. ?

Attachments

• impusle.PNG
    impusle.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 780
Physics news on Phys.org
NEVERMIND I FIGURED IT OUT!

The answer is -7.8m/s

isukatphysics69 said:
View attachment 224409
Now i got the direction incorrect but the magnitude correct. i am unsure of how i was supposed to
determine the direction. ?
Read the problem more carefully. The impulse is in the negative direction.

Likes isukatphysics69

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse refers to the change in momentum of an object over a certain period of time. Momentum, on the other hand, is the measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. In simpler terms, impulse is the force applied to an object while momentum is the object's resistance to changes in its motion.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are closely related as impulse is the cause of a change in momentum. The greater the impulse applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum. This relationship is described by the equation FΔt = mΔv, where F is the force applied, Δt is the time period, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity.

3. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. In other words, the total momentum of the system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it.

4. How does momentum affect the motion of an object?

Momentum affects the motion of an object by determining how easily it can be stopped or changed in direction. An object with a higher momentum will be more difficult to stop or change its direction, while an object with a lower momentum will be easier to stop or change its direction. This is why larger and faster objects have more momentum than smaller and slower objects.

5. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kg*m/s, which is the same as units of force multiplied by time.