Impulse & Momentum: Solving Homework Problem

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a problem involving impulse and momentum, specifically with factoring in friction. They mention being familiar with these types of problems but are still lost on this particular one. They also provide information on the difference between static and kinetic friction.
duperduperman

Homework Statement

http://courses.washington.edu/mengr230/sp11/handout/n25_ImpulseMomentum.pdf
the problem at the bottom

Homework Equations

on the link

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote out the equation and I don't really know where the friction factors in. I'm pretty much 100% lost on this. I've done a good amount of impulse and momentum problems but this one is stumping me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
duperduperman said:

I wrote out the equation and I don't really know where the friction factors in. I'm pretty much 100% lost on this. I've done a good amount of impulse and momentum problems but this one is stumping me.

The Uk is for kinetic friction and the Us is for static friction. Static friction is when it's not moving and kinetic friction is when it is moving.

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over time, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion and is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity.

2. How do I calculate impulse?

Impulse can be calculated by multiplying the average force applied to an object by the time interval over which the force is applied.

3. How do I calculate momentum?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

4. What are the units for impulse and momentum?

The units for impulse are Newton-seconds (N*s), while the units for momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

5. How do I solve homework problems involving impulse and momentum?

To solve homework problems involving impulse and momentum, you will need to use the equations for impulse and momentum and plug in the given values for force, time, mass, and velocity.