1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse chapter 9

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    The magnitude of the net force exerted in the x direction on a 3.15 kg particle varies in time as shown in the figure below.

There is a graph that is supposed to be here. The y-axis is F(N) and the x-axis is t(s)
    It starts from the orgin then goes to point (2,4), then to (3,4), then ends at (0,5). Im sorry if this looks confusing, but it wouldnt let me post the graph.

(a) Find the impulse of the force. The answer to this one is 12.0 N-s

(b) Find the final velocity the particle attains if it is originally at rest.
    i m/s

(c) Find its final velocity if its original velocity is -3.4 m/s .
    i m/s

(d) Find the average force exerted on the particle for the time interval between 0 and 5.00 s.
    N

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to get help at this forum, you have to show some work.

What have you done on this problem? What have you tried so far? If you are stumped at the beginning, then tell me what your thoughts on the problem are. What concepts/ formulas apply?

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    Any attempts/ideas?

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4
    for part A I found the answer to be 12 (4+4+4)

for part B I did I=mv which came out to v=3.8m/s

I am stuck on part c. I thought I am supposed to use I=m(vf-vi) but I keep getting a wrong answer.

And for part d I used I=f(tf-ti) and found the answer to be 2.4N

So I need part c!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?