Solve Impulse Experienced by 70kg Person Jumping 5m

• Thread starter phintastic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the question is asking for the impulse experienced by a 70kg person who jumps from a height of 5m and lands on firm ground. To solve this, we need to use the equation for impulse, which is the change in momentum, or the product of force and time.
phintastic
im reviewing for my final tomorrow, and there is a question that asks for the impulse experienced if a 70kg person lands on firm ground and stops after jumping from a height of 5m. what equation should i use to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
phintastic said:
im reviewing for my final tomorrow, and there is a question that asks for the impulse experienced if a 70kg person lands on firm ground and stops after jumping from a height of 5m. what equation should i use to solve this?
Start with writing down the equation for impulse. Impulse= ?

i don't know the equation for impulse, that's my main problem :P

[tex]
I = \Delta p = F\Delta t
[/tex]

Where I is impulse, and p is momentum.

So impulse is a change in momentum, or the product of a force and the time period over which it acts.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate impulse experienced by a person jumping?

To calculate impulse, you need to know the mass of the person (in kilograms) and the vertical distance they jump (in meters). Then, you can use the formula: Impulse = mass x change in velocity. In this case, the change in velocity would be the velocity at which the person lands after jumping, since they start at 0 velocity.

2. What is the unit of measurement for impulse?

The unit of measurement for impulse is kilogram meter per second (kg * m/s).

3. Why is the mass of the person important in calculating impulse?

The mass of the person is important because it affects the amount of force required to change their velocity. The greater the mass, the greater the force needed to change their velocity, and thus the greater the impulse experienced.

4. How does the height of the jump affect the impulse experienced by a person?

The height of the jump directly affects the impulse experienced by a person. The higher the jump, the greater the change in velocity and therefore the greater the impulse experienced. In the formula for impulse, the change in velocity is multiplied by the mass, so a higher jump with the same mass will result in a greater impulse.

5. Can impulse be negative?

Yes, impulse can be negative. This occurs when the change in velocity is negative, meaning the person's velocity decreases instead of increasing. For example, if a person jumps and then immediately falls back down, their change in velocity would be negative and so would the impulse experienced.