Impulse for a football

• Thread starter Sumbhajee
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Calculate the impulse (in kg m/s) received by a football when it is kicked in a kickoff. The ball has a mass of 0.259 kg and travels a horizontal distance of 46 m. The ball is kicked at an angle of 47 degrees with the horizontal.
http://schubert.tmcc.edu/res/msu/mmp/kap6/picts/kick.gif

Homework Equations

Impulse= mass of ball * velocity final for ball

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this equation, but I cannot figure out how to find the final velocity of the ball. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. (It may be that the equation is incorrect.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Calculate the impulse (in kg m/s) received by a football when it is kicked in a kickoff. The ball has a mass of 0.259 kg and travels a horizontal distance of 46 m. The ball is kicked at an angle of 47 degrees with the horizontal.
http://schubert.tmcc.edu/res/msu/mmp/kap6/picts/kick.gif

Homework Equations

Impulse= mass of ball * velocity final for ball

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this equation, but I cannot figure out how to find the final velocity of the ball. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. (It may be that the equation is incorrect.)
You have to determine the velocity of the ball at launch from the data provided. This is a projectile trajectory problem but in reverse: you are given the trajectory distance and initial direction and you have to find the initial speed.

What is the relationship between range, launch angle and launch speed?

AM

Last edited by a moderator: