Calculating Support Reaction Force for an Impulse-Driven Bumper Project

In summary, the main question is whether there is any force transferred to the support, and if so, what that force is. It is possible to neglect the force on the support if you're neglecting the rod's moment of inertia.
yilbaris
Hi, i have a question..

I need to make a "bumper project" as shown in figure.
I have all the geometric information about system and also know weight and energy which is transferred.
I need to calculate the support reaction but i can not convert the energy to the force without "impact time". (F * t = m * V )

Also, i m not sure is there any reaction force on the supports because it s a pin connection.
Is it possible to calculate F?
IMG_4018.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
So is the pendulum dropping down and hitting the block or is the block sliding into the pendulum? Before the collision, the pendulum has a well defined angular velocity. I believe you would be able to set up a differential equation using friction and gravity (on the pendulum) and appropriate initial conditions. Would you mind clarifying what you're looking for?

Thank you BiGyElLoWhat.

Pendulum is dropping down and hitting the block and yes, angular velocity is known (calculated).

Actually, the main question is that "is there any force transferred to support?" If yes, second step, which is the hardest part, is to calculate amount of force.

I think the short answer would be yes.

There is an impulse on the pendulum by the block, and in turn the rod by the pendulum, and as they contact, the ball 'tries' to act as a pivot point about which the rod will rotate. Is the support loose or fixed?

Another thing to consider: If you're neglecting the rod's moment of inertia, (and thus it's kinetic energy), you could probably neglect the force on the support as well, as I would think it should be negligible in comparison. Some one may want to correct me on this fact, though.

Thank you for answers..

1. What is impulse force on support?

Impulse force on support refers to the sudden change in momentum that is exerted on a support structure, such as a wall or column, due to an external force acting on it. This force can cause the support to experience a sudden increase or decrease in the magnitude and direction of its movement.

2. How is impulse force on support calculated?

The impulse force on support can be calculated by multiplying the change in momentum of the support by the time interval over which the force is applied. This can be expressed mathematically as FΔt = mΔv, where F is the impulse force, Δt is the time interval, m is the mass of the support, and Δv is the change in velocity.

3. What factors can affect the impulse force on support?

The impulse force on support can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the external force, the mass and velocity of the support, and the duration of the force. Other factors such as the material and structural design of the support can also play a role.

4. How does impulse force on support impact structural stability?

Impulse force on support can have a significant impact on the structural stability of a building or other support structure. If the force is too great, it can cause the support to fail, resulting in collapse or damage. Therefore, it is important for engineers and architects to consider impulse force when designing structures to ensure their stability and safety.

5. How can impulse force on support be minimized?

There are several ways to minimize the impulse force on support, such as using shock absorbers or dampers to absorb the force, increasing the mass or strength of the support, and carefully designing the structure to distribute the force evenly. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the support to ensure its structural integrity.