Impulse from croquet mallete problem

• Thread starter in10sivkid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation I = Ft = change in momentum to find the velocity of a croquet ball initially at rest after being struck by a croquet mallet with an impulse of 8.83 N*s. The conversation concludes that the impulse is equal to the change in momentum and can be used to solve for the velocity using the equation p = mv.
in10sivkid
A croquet mallete delievers an impulse of 8.83 N*s to a .44 kg croquet ball initally at rest. what is the speed of the ball immediately after being struck?

ok so I = Ft = change in momentum

and they give us just a mass...

so that would help with p = mv to find velocity...

but this problem seems there are two unknowns i would either need to know the force or the time...but they don't give us either...

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
all you need is the velocity, and you have I.

ok...how does having impulse help me with finding velocity

in10sivkid said:
ok...how does having impulse help me with finding velocity

The impulse is the change in momentum, and the initial momentum is zero. Momentum is mass times velocity. You know the mass.

ok so essentially then then impulse = momentum since the initial momentum = 0

so 8.83 N*s = (.44 kg) * V

then solve for V...??
if so wow that was kinda easy

in10sivkid said:
ok so essentially then then impulse = momentum since the initial momentum = 0

so 8.83 N*s = (.44 kg) * V

then solve for V...??
if so wow that was kinda easy

Looks good. Some of them are easy :smile:

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object caused by a force acting on it for a specific amount of time. It is represented by the equation I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

How is impulse related to the croquet mallet problem?

The croquet mallet problem is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the impulse applied to a ball by a croquet mallet in order to make it pass through a wicket. The impulse is calculated by using the mass and velocity of the ball before and after the collision with the mallet.

What factors affect the impulse in the croquet mallet problem?

The factors that affect the impulse in the croquet mallet problem include the mass and velocity of the ball, the force applied by the mallet, and the duration of the force (or the time the mallet is in contact with the ball).

How does impulse relate to the conservation of momentum?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the croquet mallet problem, the impulse applied to the ball by the mallet changes the ball's momentum, but the total momentum of the system (ball + mallet) remains constant.

Can the impulse be negative?

Yes, the impulse can be negative if the force applied to the object is in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This can happen in the croquet mallet problem if the mallet hits the ball in the opposite direction of its initial motion, causing it to slow down or change direction.