1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Momentum (et al.) test

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I took a test today and I am pretty sure I got everything right except for this one problem that was on there which I am unsure of. If I remember correctly, it went like this:

It said there was a particle of mass 2 kg moving with a speed of 5 m/s to the right. Then there was a graph that more or less looked like this one I just made:

2dqixc8.jpg

The question asked what the final velocity was after the impulse.

2. Relevant equations

I believe this is correct and relevant.
    [tex]\int F dt = J = ΔP = mv_{f} - mv_{i}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I wagered that since the impulse was equal to the area under the curve on a Force v. Time graph, that the problem could be done in this way:

[tex]J = \frac{1}{2}(base)(height)[/tex]
    [tex]J = \frac{1}{2}(0.10)(10)[/tex]
    [tex]J = 0.5[/tex]

[tex]J = mv_{f} - mv_{i}[/tex]
    [tex]0.5 = (2)v_{f} - (2)(5)[/tex]
    [tex]10.5 = (2)v_{f}[/tex]
    [tex]5.25 = v_{f}[/tex]

So I said the velocity afterwards was 5.25 m/s (and part b asked the direction, which I claimed was to the right).

It's unlike any practice/hw/quiz problems we have had before and there was some equation she wrote on the board:
    [tex]F_{avg}Δt = mv_{f} - mv_{i}[/tex]

Which I believe is basically what I did, I just didn't use that equation.

Did I mess up?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that the impulse was also to the right, you did fine.

FYI: You could have used your instructor's formula; In this case the average force is 10/2 = 5 N. Same answer, of course. (Since it's really the same thing.)

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    Whew, thank you.

Another question that I am a little sketchy about is one where they showed some function U(x) which represented potential energy with respect to distance.The mass of the thing was m kg The question(s) were:

a.)What is force:
    I simply took the derivative of U, and my final answer was U'(x). Sorry I can't remember the function, but it was something that had the general shape of y = 1/x.

b.)If the object was released from it's origin, what is it's speed at x = 2?

I claimed that mgU(0) was the total energy on the system, and so, after the thing fell or whatever, the final velocity could be found via:

[tex]mgU(0) = mgU(2) + \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]
    Solving for v obviously.

?

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Almost. Given a potential energy function, the associated force is given by -dU/dx. The minus sign is important.

U(x) is the potential energy, not mgU(x). (You're confusing this with a gravitational PE problem, perhaps?)

You want:
    [tex]U(0) = U(2) + \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5
    Oh ok, I got confused trying to replicate the problem from memory into latex.

Yes I used [itex]F = -\frac{dU}{dx}[/itex]
    and I did use U(x) for potential, not mgU(x).

7. Nov 2, 2011 #6

Doc Al

Good! :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook