Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q.

• Thread starter Eiano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the problem involves a 3 kg object with a vertical velocity of 7.00m/s and a horizontal force of 12.0N acting on it for 5 seconds. The equation Ft=mvf-mvi can be used to solve for the final velocity, but it's important to note that the motion in the x-direction is independent of the y-direction. So, the y-velocity will remain unchanged and the final x-velocity can be added to it by vector addition. It's important to use vectors instead of just magnitudes in the equation. It's also important to correctly substitute the mass and initial velocity in the equation.
Eiano
I have this problem that says a 3 kg object has a velocity of 7.00m/s j (vertical, right?). Then a total of 12.0Ni (horizontal) acts on it for 5 seconds. What is the objects final velocity.

I know that the equation is Ft=mvf-mvi

I could just plug everything in, but what's bothering me is the fat that the mass has an vertical velocity and the force is acting on it horizontally. Am I reading this wrong or is this the case?

If so, how do I go avout finding what I need to plug in.

My work:

Ft=mvf-mvi
(12N)(5s)=(5)(vf)-(5)(7)... then solve for vf, but that seems too easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
The object is moving in the vertical direction with that velocity, yes and then the force acts on it for 5 seconds. So yeah, that is the case.

You still use [itex]\vec{F}t = m(\vec{v_{f}} - \vec{v_{i}})[/tex] and solve for [itex]\vec{v_{f}}[/itex], but writing the force and inital velocity in terms of vectors and not just their magnitudes.

Last edited:
The motion in the x direction is independent of the motion in the y direction. Since there is no y-directed force, the y-velocity will be unchanged. In you last equation, you should only have x-directed quantities. You substituted the wrong number for mass, and you have the wrong initial velocity.

After you get the final x-velocity, you need to add it to the y-velocity by vector addition.

OOPs- scooped again :smile:

ohhh i didn't mean to put in 5 as the mass :)
so i have to find the initial velocity first? it's not just 7 huh...
then find the final V and doo Vector addition,

ok thank you all very much!

1. What is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q is a principle in physics that states the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it. It is expressed as FΔt = Δp, where F is the force applied, Δt is the time period over which the force is applied, and Δp is the change in momentum.

2. How is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q different from the regular Impulse-Momentum Theorem?

The regular Impulse-Momentum Theorem only takes into account the final momentum of an object, whereas the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q considers the change in momentum. This makes it useful for analyzing situations where the initial and final momenta are not equal, such as in collisions.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q is used in a variety of fields, including sports, engineering, and transportation. In sports, it helps to analyze the impact of collisions in contact sports like football. In engineering, it is used to design safer structures and machines by understanding the forces involved in collisions. In transportation, it is used to design safety features in cars, such as airbags, to reduce the impact of collisions.

4. Can the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q be applied to systems with multiple objects?

Yes, the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q can be applied to systems with multiple objects by considering the total momentum of the system before and after the impulse is applied. This allows for the analysis of complex collisions involving multiple objects.

5. How does the Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. The Impulse-Momentum Theorem Q provides a more specific relationship between force, time, and momentum, adding to our understanding of how forces affect the motion of objects.