Calculating Stopping Time and Distance Using Impulse Momentum Theorem

In summary: The equation P=mV means that the power (P) is equal to the mass (m) multiplied by the velocity (V). In this case, the power is 0.15kg multiplied by 26m/s which equals 3.9kgm/s.
JMarino
I have a question I am looking for an asnwer: Using the impulse momentum theorum, describe how it is possible to drop an egg from a 2 story high building and not have the egg break.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework problem to me. Show your thinking so far.

Well I know we would need to slow down the object gradually to keep intact, such as using a stack of feathers or pillows. How does the theorum apply?

What is the theorem? What is impulse?

impulse is a factor of both force and time. So the egg hitting the pillows (let's say) is the impulse and for a period of time to slow the egg down?

Impulse is defined as Force X Time; the impulse-momentum theorem tells you that the impulse exerted on an object (by the net force on it) equals its change in momentum.

For the same impulse, if you arrange for the force to be exerted over a greater time (making Time bigger) by using a pillow (for example), what does that imply about the force being exerted on the egg?

you need less force to stop the object

Right! If you are willing to take a longer time to stop the egg, then you can use less force. Conversely, by using less force--via a softer surface like a pillow--you need more time to stop the egg.

Thank you for the help!

So I have one more problem to solve. Can you help?
A 0.15 kg baseball moving at +26 m/s is slowed to a stop by a catcher who exerts a constant force of 390 N. How long does it take this force to stop the ball? How far does the ball travel before stopping?
- P=mV = 0.15Kg x 26M/s = 3.9Kgm/s. Then what equation?

JMarino said:
So I have one more problem to solve. Can you help?
A 0.15 kg baseball moving at +26 m/s is slowed to a stop by a catcher who exerts a constant force of 390 N. How long does it take this force to stop the ball? How far does the ball travel before stopping?
- P=mV = 0.15Kg x 26M/s = 3.9Kgm/s. Then what equation?

Look at the first part of post #6 again.

What is the Impulse Momentum Theorem?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the change in momentum of an object and the impulse applied to that object. It states that the impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

How is the Impulse Momentum Theorem calculated?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. This can be represented by the equation, Impulse = Force x Time, or J = F x t.

What is the significance of the Impulse Momentum Theorem?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between force, time, and momentum. It is also useful in predicting the behavior of objects in collisions and other dynamic situations.

How is the Impulse Momentum Theorem applied in real life?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is applied in various real-life scenarios, such as car crashes, sports, and rocket launches. In car crashes, the impulse applied by the impact of the car and the time it takes for the impact can determine the severity of the collision. In sports, athletes use the principle to enhance their performance, such as in long jump and shot put events. In rocket launches, the impulse generated by the burning of fuel and the time it takes to burn determines the momentum of the rocket.

What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the product of force and time, while momentum is the product of mass and velocity. While impulse is a measure of the change in momentum, momentum is a measure of an object's quantity of motion. In simpler terms, impulse is how much force an object experiences over a certain period, while momentum is how fast and how much the object is moving.