1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse-Momentum Theorem

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 82 kg man drops from rest on a diving board 3m above the surface of the water and comes to rest 0.55 s after reaching the water. What force does the water exert on him?

2. Relevant equations
    F = mVf - mVi / t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to begin since I don't know the diver's velocity. Could I possibly use V = d/t?

EDIT: Ok, so I used V = d/t and got 5.5 m/s for the velocity. Then I used F = mVf - mVi / t, and got 820 N. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2
    I'm not saying that I'm in any way a physics expert or anything but;

What you calculated as the velocity was 3m/0.55s --> which is not at all the velocity of the diver just before he hits the water. I made a quick attempt at this problem, and I would instead use the relationship: x=at2/2, since the acceleration is constant. From this you can find the time it takes for the diver to hit the water--also knowing that x=vt, and therefore v=x/t, you can find the velocity of the diver just before he hits the water, which is also the initial velocity in (mVf-mVi)/t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?