1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse of a ball

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.150 kg ball is dropped 1.25m from rest. It rebounds to a height of 0.960m. What is the impulse given to the ball by the floor?

2. Relevant equations
    I=[tex]\Delta[/tex]p and p=mv were the equations I was trying to use. I was pretty sure I should use F=ma since the only other thing that I know is acceleration due to gravity. I don't know anything about time so I ruled out [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex]Fdt.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. So how can you figure out the velocity just before and just after it hits the floor?

Hint: When the ball is in the air, it's just a projectile.

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using I = Δp is the correct approach. Can you find what v just before and just after the collision? If so, then you can find Δv and from this Δp.

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    So can I use the kinematics equations? Since I don't know anything about time can I use vf2= vi2+2a (xf-xi) to find the velocity?

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds good to me.

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6
    thanks kindly to all!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook