1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse of bat on a baseball

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1
    A 0.14 kg baseball moves toward home plate with a velocity vi = (-37 m/s) x. After striking the bat, the ball moves vertically upward with a velocity vf = (13 m/s) y. Find the direction and magnitude of the impulse delivered to the ball by the bat. Assume that the ball and bat are in contact for 1.5 ms.

I tried impulse = mv final - mv initial. Numerically, I did ((0.14)(13)) squared - ((0.14)(37)) squared.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Again, it would be useful to write down a vector equation first, and then think about the components: [tex]\vec{I} = \vec{F} \cdot t = (F_{x}\cdot\vec{i}+F_{y}\cdot\vec{j})\cdot t=m\vec{v}_{f}- m\vec{v}_{i}= 0.14\cdot13\cdot \vec{j} - 0.14\cdot (-37) \vec{i}[/tex]. Now simply 'read off' the sides of the equation for [tex]\vec{i}[/tex] and for [tex]\vec{j}[/tex] separately.

4. Oct 16, 2006 #3

I tried that method, but I don't understand the "read off" Am I supposed to calculate i and j separately? I tried just calculating by multiplying the velocities by the masses and subtracting those two products from each other.

5. Oct 16, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

By 'reading off' I meant:

[tex]F_{x}\vec{i}t + F_{y}\vec{j}t = 0.13\cdot13\vec{j}-0.14\cdot(-37)\vec{i} \Rightarrow F_{x}t = -0.14\cdot(-0.37) , F_{y}t=0.14\cdot0.13[/tex]. Since you know the time, you can easily obtain the components Fx and Fy of the force. Now you know everything, since the impulse equals [tex]\vec{I} = F_{x}t\vec{i}+F_{y}t\vec{j}[/tex]. The direction is found from the relation [tex]\tan(\alpha)=\frac{F_{y}}{F_{x}}[/tex], and the magnitude from [tex]\left|\vec{I}\right|=\sqrt{(F_{x}t)^2+(F_{y}t)^2}[/tex].

I hope you know how to deal with vectors, I'd feel stupid to make such a mess for nothing. :smile:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?