1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse of deflected ball

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Impulse of deflected ball

1. Recent studies have raised concern about `heading' in youth soccer (i.e., hitting the ball with the head). A soccer player `heads' a 0.421 kg ball, deflecting it by 50.0 degrees, and keeps its speed of 10.40m/s constant. (The deflection angle is the angle between the ball's initial and final velocity vectors.) What is the magnitude of the impulse which the player must impart to the ball?

m = 0.421 kg
    v[tex]_{}i[/tex] = -10.4 m/s
    v[tex]_{}f[/tex] = 10.4 m/s at 50 degrees

2. The equations

impulse = [tex]\Delta[/tex]p = m(v[tex]_{}i[/tex]) - m(v[tex]_{}f[/tex])

so impulse = m(v[tex]_{}f[/tex] - v[tex]_{}i[/tex])

So I multiplied the mass by the change in velocity. Namely:

3. The solution

0.421 *{sqrt[ (10.40*sin50)^2 + (10.40*(cos50 +1))^2) ]}

So I got about 7.936. But this is wrong. What's up?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    I think you typed it into the calculator wrong. I just plugged it into google and got
    Code (Text):
    .421 * sqrt(((10.40 * sin(50))^2) + ((10.40 * (cos(50) + 1))^2)) = 8.67976478
    or, in [tex]\LaTeX[/tex]

[tex].421 \sqrt{ \left(10.4\sin{50}\right)^2 + \left(10.4\left(\cos{50}+1\right)\right)^2 } = 8.67976478[/tex]
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    I think that might be in radians...

Thanks, though. My teacher went over the homework, and it seems that I was measuring the wrong angle. The angle is SUPPOSED to be between the tails of the two vectors, but I was measuring the angle between the tip of the initial and the tail of the final. So my calculations should have treated the angle as 130 degrees. Alternatively, I could have made both vectors' x-components have the same signs.

Thanks anyway.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?