1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse on a thrown ball

1. Dec 26, 2004 #1
    A 0.2kg ball is thrown at 15m/s, 45 degrees below the horizontal. The ball is hit by at bat at 40m/s, 30 degrees above the horizontal. What is the impulse delivered to the ball?

So, impulse is change in momentum. The initial momentum is .2*15=3Ns
    How would I find the final momentum and how does the angles come into play?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.Make a drawing (diagram) in which place the horizontal and vertical directions along with the 2 velocity vectors.
    2.Chose a system of coordinates with 2 axis orthogonal on each other.Project on these 2 axis the 2 velocity vectors.Compute the initial and the final comonents of the momentum vectors.Add/subtract carefully the vectors and find the final answer.

4. Dec 26, 2004 #3
    how is that possible when one angle is above the horizontal and the other is below? I'm not quite sure how I should place the two diagrams for comparison

and how would I find final velocity?
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  5. Dec 26, 2004 #4
  6. Dec 26, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.The drawing is pretty awkward,as you imagined it like an Arab,from right to left.It's not important.As I said,pick a system of axis and compute this vector:
    [tex] \Delta\vec{p}=\vec{p_{f}}-\vec{p_{i}} [/tex]
    2.If your choise of coordonates is smart,then u should get the result pretty easily.

7. Dec 26, 2004 #6
    So I do have to split the 40m/s and the 15m/s into it's x and y componets. With that, I have to subtract x-axis momentum of 40m/s from the x-axis momentum of 15m/s. Then subtract the y-axis momentum of 40m/s from the y-axis momentum of 15m/s. The resultant should give me what I'm looking for right?
  8. Dec 26, 2004 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.To me it looks like those components add instead of subtract,as they correspond to a vector subtraction of vectors which have different dirrections (the support is the same,but point one at another).

9. Dec 26, 2004 #8
    40 m/s at 30 degrees
    x-componet = 34.6 m/s to the right
    y-componet= 20 m/s upwards

15 m/s at 45 degrees
    x-componet = -10.6 m/s to the left
    y-componet= -10.6 m/s downwards

so I add the vectors up?
    x-componet = 24 m/s to the right
    y-componet= 9.4 m/s upwards

resultant=25.8 m/s
  10. Dec 26, 2004 #9

Impulse is 8.2Ns

is this correct?
  11. Dec 26, 2004 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's how i see it.Consider the initial state of the ball being pictured in the left of the screen and having a velocity vector [itex] \vec{v}_{i} [/itex] and moving towards the right part of the screen.In the final state it is hit by a bat and therefore moves to the left again with a velocity [itex] \vec{v}_{f} [/itex].Pick the Oxy system with the direction of 0x from left to right and with direction of 0y upwards.
    U will have
    [tex] \Delta \vec{p}=\vec{p_{f}}-\vec{p_{i}} [/tex]
    [tex] \vec{p_{f}}=m(-v_{f,x}\vec{i}+v_{f,y}\vec{j}) [/tex]
    [tex] \vec{p_{i}}=m(v_{i,x}\vec{i}-v_{i,y}\vec{j}) [/tex]
    [tex] \Delta \vec{p}=m[-(v_{f,x}+v_{i,x})\vec{i}+(v_{f,y}+v_{i,y})\vec{j}] [/tex]

I'll let u plug in the numbers.

12. Dec 26, 2004 #11
    so you're saying: Impulese = mass * (resultant force in y + resultant force in x)

is that correct?
  13. Dec 27, 2004 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean resulting force?? :confused: U probably meant "velocity". :wink: I gave you the final vector decomposed on the coordinate axis.Square it and find its modulus and then plug in the numbers.It's not a big deal... :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?