How Do You Calculate Impulse and Force in a Rear-End Collision?

• Thread starter DANIELLYMA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, a 75 kg man sitting in his car at rest at a stoplight is rear-ended by another car and is accelerated to 3.0 m/s in 0.2s. The calculated impulse on the man is 225 Ns, the net force on the man is 1125N, and the acceleration is 15 m/s^2. However, there is uncertainty in finding the impulse of both the man and the car without knowing the mass of the car. Further assistance is needed in solving this problem.
DANIELLYMA
A 75 kg man is sitting in his car at rest at the stoplight. He is rear-ended by another car and is accelerated to 3.0 m/s in 0.2s. What is the impulse on the man and his car?

I found the impuse on the man which was:

I = m(change v)

= 75(3.0 -0)
= 225 Ns

I found the Net force on the man:

Fnet = 225/change in time
=225/0.2s
=1125N

I also found acceleration which is 15 m/s^2

I'm stumped because I can't find a way to find the impulse of the man and the car without needing the mass of the car. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
are those the exact words of the problem?

perhaps the answer is in terms of m?

Last edited:
for bringing this problem to my attention. I understand your confusion and will try my best to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, let's define impulse as the change in momentum of an object. In this case, the man and his car experience a change in velocity from 0 m/s to 3.0 m/s. Therefore, the impulse on the man and his car would be the same since they are both experiencing the same change in velocity.

Now, let's consider the equation for impulse, which is I = mΔv. As you correctly calculated, the impulse on the man is 225 Ns. However, since the man and his car are experiencing the same change in velocity, we can use this same value for the car's impulse as well. Therefore, the impulse on the car is also 225 Ns.

To find the net force on the man and the car, we can use the equation Fnet = Δp/Δt, where Δp is the change in momentum and Δt is the change in time. Since the man and the car have the same change in momentum, we can use the same value for Δp, which is 225 Ns. As for the change in time, we can use the given value of 0.2 seconds. This gives us a net force of 1125 N, as you correctly calculated.

In conclusion, the impulse on the man and his car is 225 Ns and the net force experienced by both of them is 1125 N. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is an impulse problem?

An impulse problem is a physics concept that involves the application of an external force to an object for a short period of time. This force causes the object to experience a change in momentum, which is known as an impulse.

How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse is directly related to momentum, as it is the change in momentum that occurs when an external force is applied to an object. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum, and vice versa.

What are some real-life examples of impulse problems?

One common example of an impulse problem is when a soccer player kicks a ball. The force of the player's foot on the ball causes a change in momentum, propelling the ball forward. Other examples include a person jumping off a diving board, a car crashing into a wall, and a person catching a falling object.

How can impulse problems be solved?

To solve an impulse problem, you can use the formula impulse = force x change in time. This formula takes into account the magnitude of the force applied and the duration of time it is applied for. Additionally, you can use the conservation of momentum principle to solve for unknown variables in an impulse problem.

Why are impulse problems important in science?

Impulse problems are important in science because they help us understand how forces affect the motion of objects. They are also a key concept in understanding collisions and how to calculate the resulting changes in momentum. Impulse problems are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biomechanics.