Help Needed: Solving an Impulse Problem

• Thread starter koomba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, a bungee jumper weighing 63.00kg jumps off a 71.00m tall bridge with a 41.00m cord. As he falls to 8.00m above the water, the cord starts to stretch and exerts an impulse on the jumper. To calculate this impulse, we must first find the change in momentum of the jumper, which can be done by considering the initial momentum just before the cord starts to stretch and the final momentum when the cord returns to its rest length. It is important to note that the force from the cord is a conservative force. Therefore, the jumper's velocity just before and just after the cord stretches will be the same, allowing us to calculate the impulse from the
koomba
Hey I've been having trouble with this impulse problem, in fact I don't even seem to know where to start. My prof didn't even cover any impulse problems in class and then expects us to do one for homework. :rolleyes: But anyways, any help would be appreciated, I'm sure there's someone who can help me. :biggrin: Here you go:

A bungee jumper (m = 63.00kg) tied to a 41.00m cord, leaps off a 71.00m tall bridge. He falls to 8.00m above the water before the bungee cord pulls him back up. What size impulse is exerted on the bungee jumper while the cord stretches.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When a force is exerted on something for an amount of time an impulse is imparted to the object. The "impulse" = force X time = the change in momentum. So, find the change in momentum of the bungee jumper starting with the point where the cord begins to stretch.

Hint: What's the initial momentum of the jumper at the moment the cord starts to stretch?

Last edited:
Note that whatever the stiffness of the cord, the force exerted on you by the cord is a CONSERVATIVE force.
What does this tell you about the relation between:
1)Your velocity just before the bungee cord become stretched beyond its rest length.
2)Your velocity just after the bungee cord regains its rest length.

3)Then, how can you compute 1) (and from it, 2).
4) What must then the impulse from the cord be?

I would like to point out, that a fundamental assumption must be made:
That the time interval during which the cord is stretched must be relatively short.
(The impulse from the force of gravity must be negligible compared to the other terms)

arildno said:
I would like to point out, that a fundamental assumption must be made:
That the time interval during which the cord is stretched must be relatively short.
(The impulse from the force of gravity must be negligible compared to the other terms)
I don't think one needs to make that assumption, given the way the problem is phrased: the problem asks for the impulse on the jumper, not necessarily the impulse from the cord alone.

1. What is an impulse problem?

An impulse problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the change in momentum of an object due to a sudden force acting on it. It is also known as a collision problem.

2. How do I approach solving an impulse problem?

The first step is to identify the given information, such as the initial and final velocities of the object and the time interval of the impulse. Then, use the impulse-momentum theorem (FΔt = mΔv) to calculate the change in momentum. Finally, use this information to solve for the unknowns, such as the final velocity or mass of the object.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic impulse problem?

In an elastic impulse problem, the objects involved in the collision rebound off of each other with no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic impulse problem, the objects stick together after the collision and there is a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors.

4. How do I know if I need to use the impulse-momentum theorem or the conservation of momentum equation?

If the problem involves a sudden force acting on an object over a short period of time, then you will need to use the impulse-momentum theorem. If the problem involves a collision between two objects and there is no external force acting on the system, then you can use the conservation of momentum equation (m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2').

5. Can you provide an example of a real-world impulse problem?

One example of a real-world impulse problem is a car crash. When a car collides with an object, such as a tree or another car, the sudden force of the impact causes a change in momentum for both objects involved. This change in momentum can be calculated using the impulse-momentum theorem and can help determine the severity of the crash and the amount of damage done to the objects.