Calculating Impulse on Bungee Jumper from 78m Fall

In summary, the bungee jumper, with a mass of 75.00 kg, has a final speed of 37.0 m/s when he is 8.00 m above the water. Using conservation of energy, his initial velocity before the bungee cord stretches is found to be 29.7 m/s. The impulse exerted on the bungee jumper while the cord stretches is 2227 kgm/s.
Punchlinegirl
A bungee jumper (m = 75.00 kg) tied to a 48.00 m cord, leaps off a 78.00 m tall bridge. He falls to 8.00 m above the water before the bungee cord pulls him back up. What size impulse is exerted on the bungee jumper while the cord stretches?
I found the velocity by
v_final^2= V_inital + 2ad
V^2= 2(9.8)(30)
V=24.2 m/s
Impulse= change in momentum.
I think the initial momentum is 0 since he isn't moving.
Impulse= m*v
= 1818.7 kg*m/s

This wasn't right.. can someone help me out?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You solved for the final speed by treating it as a free fall problem. If you think about it, that's not going to be exactly true. As the bungee cord extends, it will exert a force pulling him to a stop. Try it using energy conservation - that won't depend on the acceleration remaining constant.

Ok I tried using
mgh= (1/2)mv^2 + mgh
(75)(9.8)(78)= (1/2)(75)v^2 + (75)(9.8)(8)
Solving for v gave me 37.0 m/s..
Am I doing this right?

Much better.

Do you know where to go from there?

I know that impulse is the change in momentum
So
p_final-p_inital= mv_final-mv_initial.
I think the initial velocity is 0 since he's at the top of the bridge. So it would just be (75)(37.0)= 2775 kg*m/s?

the phrase 'while the cord strecthes', does that mean that u is the velocity of the man when the cord started to strectch, when he is 48 m from the bridge, and v refers to his velocity when the cord strecthed the maximum when he was 8 m above the water, v is zero at this moment since he would stop for a while before being pulled back by the cord.

So should I use conservation of energy to find the velocity when he was at the 8 m above the water,
mgh=(1/2)mv^2+ mgh
(75)(9.8)(78)=(1/2)(75)v^2 + (75)(9.8)(30)?
I'm a little confused by the whole bungee cord stretching thing.

According to the problem, his velocity 8 meters above the water should be 0. The bungee cord will have stopped him at that point. Think of it this way: at the top, when he first jumps off, he will have 0 momentum. Gravity will be doing its anthropomorphized best to give him some as he falls. If the cord were not there, he would have, say, x momentum at that point 8 meters above the river.

Because the cord is there, though, his actual momentum at that point will be 0. Momentum is conserved - it has to have gone somewhere. What's happened is that the cord has exerted a force as he was falling, transferring the momentum elsewhere. That force times the time it acted would give you the impulse. Conceptually, at least, that seems to me the obvious way to approach the problem. The trouble is that you know nothing about the force exerted by the bungee cord except that it's not constant, and you know nothing about the time involved. You'll have to find another approach. What's the only other approach you know for finding the impulse?

It's not unreasonable for you to be confused by the stretching of the cord. It can be analyzed, but I don't think you have the mathematics to do it right now. Follow the approach you originally outlined.

Impulse= change in momentum= m* change in velocity
Impulse= (75)(0-37)
=-2775 kg*m/s?

Punchlinegirl said:
Ok I tried using
mgh= (1/2)mv^2 + mgh
(75)(9.8)(78)= (1/2)(75)v^2 + (75)(9.8)(8)
Solving for v gave me 37.0 m/s..
Am I doing this right?
Since the u which i will assume refer to his velocity when the cord started to strecth; then
mgh= (1/2)mu^2 + mgh
(75)(9.8)(78)= (1/2)(75)v^2 + (75)(9.8)(78-45)
u=29.7 m/s
Impulse = 75*(0-29.7)=2227 kgm/s

1. How do you calculate the impulse on a bungee jumper from a 78m fall?

To calculate the impulse on a bungee jumper from a 78m fall, you will need to know the mass of the jumper, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance of the fall. The formula for impulse is force multiplied by time, so you will also need to calculate the force on the bungee cord and the time it takes for the jumper to come to a complete stop.

2. What is the formula for calculating impulse?

The formula for impulse is force multiplied by time. It can also be written as the change in momentum of an object.

3. How do you calculate the force on a bungee cord during a jump?

The force on a bungee cord during a jump can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the jumper by the acceleration due to gravity. This will give you the weight of the jumper. Then, you will need to factor in the stretch of the bungee cord and the spring constant of the cord to determine the force acting on the jumper.

4. What is the importance of calculating impulse on a bungee jumper?

Calculating impulse on a bungee jumper is important because it allows us to understand the impact or force that the jumper experiences during the fall. This information can be used to ensure the safety and design of bungee jumping equipment.

5. How can you increase the impulse on a bungee jumper?

The impulse on a bungee jumper can be increased by increasing the mass of the jumper, increasing the distance of the fall, or increasing the stretch or spring constant of the bungee cord. However, it is important to consider safety precautions and limits when increasing impulse on a bungee jumper.