Calculating Force and Speed of a Snooker Ball

In summary, the cue exerts an average force of 7N on a stationary snooker ball of mass 200g, resulting in a final velocity of 44.4444V after an impact lasting for 45ms. The next step is to use the equation F*t = mv2-mv1 to retrieve the final velocity v2.
glasgowm
A cue exerts an average force of 7N on a stationary snooker ball of mass 200g if the impact lasts for 45ms, with what speed does the ball leave the que?

---

Ft = mv - mu
F = m(v-u/t)
F = 0.2(v-0/0.0045)
= 0.2v/0.0045 = 44.4444V

Can't figure out what the next step is from my notes.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
glasgowm said:
A cue exerts an average force of 7N on a stationary snooker ball of mass 200g if the impact lasts for 45ms, with what speed does the ball leave the que?

---

Ft = mv - mu
F = m(v-u/t)
F = 0.2(v-0/0.0045)
= 0.2v/0.0045 = 44.4444V

Can't figure out what the next step is from my notes.

Cheers

Simply stated, the impulse equals the change of linear momentum, so, you have: [tex]F\cdot t = mv_{2}-mv_{1}[/tex], where m is the mass of the ball, v2 the final velocity and v1 the initial velocity (equals zero). From this equation you can easily retrieve v2.

radou said:
Simply stated, the impulse equals the change of linear momentum, so, you have: [tex]F\cdot t = mv_{2}-mv_{1}[/tex], where m is the mass of the ball, v2 the final velocity and v1 the initial velocity (equals zero). From this equation you can easily retrieve v2.
I already did that.

glasgowm said:
I already did that.

I saw you did that and I don't see where the problem is. Just plug in the force and solve to get the speed v.

1. How do you calculate the force of a snooker ball?

The force of a snooker ball can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its acceleration. This can be represented by the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. What unit is used to measure force?

The unit used to measure force is Newtons (N).

3. How do you calculate the speed of a snooker ball?

The speed of a snooker ball can be calculated by dividing the distance it travels by the amount of time it takes to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance, and t is the time.

4. What unit is used to measure speed?

The unit used to measure speed is meters per second (m/s).

5. What factors can affect the force and speed of a snooker ball?

The force and speed of a snooker ball can be affected by factors such as the mass of the ball, the angle and force of the cue, the friction of the table, and any external forces such as air resistance or collisions with other balls.