• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Impulse Question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is asking me about how much impulse is applied. I would attach a picture but I honestly do not know how.

Force=950 N

Time=0.12 seconds
2. Relevant equations
J=FT

3. The attempt at a solution
J=(950)(0.12)=114. The problem with this is that there is not an answer choice for 114 so obviously I have done something incorrect. Help please

Attachments

Garlic

Gold Member
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is asking me about how much impulse is applied. I would attach a picture but I honestly do not know how.

Force=950 N

Time=0.12 seconds
2. Relevant equations
J=FT

J=(950)(0.12)=114. The problem with this is that there is not an answer choice for 114 so obviously I have done something incorrect. Help please
You asked me to help, this answer seems to be correct to me, but as I'm just a high school student, you might want to wait for a professional to look at this, just to be sure.

ehild

Homework Helper
114 in what units? And what are the answer choices?

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
The wording is strange. I would have expected to be told a certain force was produced for a time against the blocks, not in a time over the blocks.
So, maybe it means the force peaked at 950 N at the end of 0.12 s, but then you'd have to make some assumption about how the force grew over that time. Seems very unlikely.

114 in what units? And what are the answer choices?
The wording is strange. I would have expected to be told a certain force was produced for a time against the blocks, not in a time over the blocks.
So, maybe it means the force peaked at 950 N at the end of 0.12 s, but then you'd have to make some assumption about how the force grew over that time. Seems very unlikely.

These are the answer choices.

Attachments