Calculate Impulse: 950N in 0.12s

• Thread starter Singinginshower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary: A) 105 N*sB) 114 N*sC) 122 N*sD) 133 N*sIn summary, the question is asking about the impulse applied, with given values of force and time. The formula J=FT is used to calculate the impulse, which is found to be 114 N*s. However, this does not match any of the given answer choices, leading to the possibility of a mistake in the question or calculation.
Singinginshower

Homework Statement

The question is asking me about how much impulse is applied. I would attach a picture but I honestly do not know how.

Force=950 N

Time=0.12 seconds

Homework Equations

J=FT

The Attempt at a Solution

J=(950)(0.12)=114. The problem with this is that there is not an answer choice for 114 so obviously I have done something incorrect. Help please[/B]

Attachments

• lolol.JPG
    lolol.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Singinginshower said:

Homework Statement

The question is asking me about how much impulse is applied. I would attach a picture but I honestly do not know how.

Force=950 N

Time=0.12 seconds

Homework Equations

J=FT

J=(950)(0.12)=114. The problem with this is that there is not an answer choice for 114 so obviously I have done something incorrect. Help please[/B]

You asked me to help, this answer seems to be correct to me, but as I'm just a high school student, you might want to wait for a professional to look at this, just to be sure.

Singinginshower said:

114 in what units? And what are the answer choices?

The wording is strange. I would have expected to be told a certain force was produced for a time against the blocks, not in a time over the blocks.
So, maybe it means the force peaked at 950 N at the end of 0.12 s, but then you'd have to make some assumption about how the force grew over that time. Seems very unlikely.

ehild said:
114 in what units? And what are the answer choices?

haruspex said:
The wording is strange. I would have expected to be told a certain force was produced for a time against the blocks, not in a time over the blocks.
So, maybe it means the force peaked at 950 N at the end of 0.12 s, but then you'd have to make some assumption about how the force grew over that time. Seems very unlikely.
These are the answer choices.

Attachments

• Captu.JPG
    Captu.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 434

1. What is the formula for calculating impulse?

The formula for calculating impulse is: Impulse = Force x Time

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of impulse?

To calculate the magnitude of impulse, you need to know the force applied and the time it was applied for. Simply multiply the force by the time to get the magnitude of impulse.

3. What units are used to measure impulse?

Impulse is typically measured in Newton-seconds (N*s) or kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. Can impulse be positive or negative?

Yes, impulse can be either positive or negative. A positive impulse indicates a force applied in the same direction as the motion, while a negative impulse indicates a force applied in the opposite direction of motion.

5. How can I use impulse to calculate an object's change in momentum?

You can use impulse to calculate an object's change in momentum by dividing the impulse by the mass of the object. This will give you the change in velocity, which you can then use to calculate the change in momentum using the formula: Change in Momentum = Mass x Change in Velocity.