Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Impulse response of recursive DT system

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]y[n] - 1.8\cos (\frac{\pi }{{16}})y[n - 1] + 0.81y[n - 2] = x[n] + 0.5x[n - 1][/tex]
    Determine the impulse response [tex]h[n][/tex] by calculating the zero-state response with [tex]x[n] = \delta [n][/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]y[n] - 1.8\cos (\frac{\pi }{{16}})y[n - 1] + 0.81y[n - 2] = x[n] + 0.5x[n - 1][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]y[n] = 1.8\cos (\frac{\pi }{{16}})y[n - 1] - 0.81y[n - 2] + x[n] + 0.5x[n - 1][/tex]
    [tex]h[n] = 1.8\cos (\frac{\pi }{{16}})y[n - 1] - 0.81y[n - 2] + \delta [n] + 0.5\delta [n - 1][/tex]
    The zero-state response means
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    y[- 1] = 0 \\
    y[- 2] = 0 \\
    \end{array}[/tex]
    So my question is how can I write out the impulse response explicitly in one expression. I think I could calculate it by [tex]h[0],h[1],h[2].....[/tex] but I want to write it out as just one expression but the recursive terms[tex]y[n - 1][/tex] and [tex]y[n - 2][/tex] are kind of throwing me off.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted