1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Response

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an impulse response h(n)=e^(0.1n)*[u(n)-u(n-8)] and an input x(n)={0,1,2,3,0}, how do I find the output y(k)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i don't even know how to solve. should i try convolution or should i substitute the values of x(n) in h(n). and idk why its y(k) instead of y(n) you don't need to put the exact solution. you just need to explain what i need to do. thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2017 #2
    For a discrete time LTI (Linear Time Inviariant) system, the output is completely determined by the output and the impulse response, wich is the response to an impulse funtion (often called delta function). d[n] with d[0] =1 and d[x] = 0 if x<>0.
    if you know the response to d[n], you know the response to d[n-t], and any input signal is a linear combination of impulse functions with different time shifts.
    The way to determine this is the convolution sum. See here for example:
    http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~ahouse/mirror/engi7824/course_notes_7824_part6.pdf

4. Apr 24, 2017 #3
    Thanks for your response!
    So i just need to convolve x(n) and h(n)? and the answer is y(n)? how will it become y(k) tho?

5. Apr 24, 2017 #4
    Sorry, I have no idea why they use y[k] and not y[n].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted