1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impuse question

1. Nov 25, 2004 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

3. [Walker2 9.P.014.] A 0.14 kg baseball moves toward home plate with a velocity vi = (-25 m/s) x. After striking the bat, the ball moves vertically upward with a velocity vf = (13 m/s) y.

(a) Find the direction and magnitude of the impulse delivered to the ball by the bat. Assume that the ball and bat are in contact for 1.5 ms.

Don't I need to know what direction the baseball is moving in initially if I am to compute the direction of the impulse. Are they assuming that the ball travels completely horizontal? Or do I not understand this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The impulse is the change in momentum of the baseball. You are to assume that [itex]\vec{v_i}[/itex] is completely horizontal and [itex]\vec{v_f}[/itex] is completely vertical.

Just draw the momentum vectors for the ball before and after the bat hits it. The impulse or change in momentum is the difference between these two vectors (ie. 'what vector added to [itex]\vec{v_i}[/itex] results in [itex]\vec{v_f}[/itex]?'). The impulse is the product of the bat force and the time interval over which it is applied ([itex]m\triangle \vec{v} = \vec{F_{bat}}\triangle t[/itex]).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?