Impulse Question 3: Finding Magnitude & Direction

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction and magnitude of the impulse delivered to a 0.14 kg baseball by a bat. The ball initially moves horizontally with a velocity of -25 m/s, and after being struck by the bat, it moves vertically with a velocity of 13 m/s. The impulse is the change in momentum and is calculated by finding the difference between the initial and final momentum vectors. It is also equal to the product of the bat force and the time interval over which it is applied. The direction of the impulse is assumed to be horizontal and the magnitude can be found using the given information.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3. [Walker2 9.P.014.] A 0.14 kg baseball moves toward home plate with a velocity vi = (-25 m/s) x. After striking the bat, the ball moves vertically upward with a velocity vf = (13 m/s) y.

(a) Find the direction and magnitude of the impulse delivered to the ball by the bat. Assume that the ball and bat are in contact for 1.5 ms.

Don't I need to know what direction the baseball is moving in initially if I am to compute the direction of the impulse. Are they assuming that the ball travels completely horizontal? Or do I not understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
Don't I need to know what direction the baseball is moving in initially if I am to compute the direction of the impulse. Are they assuming that the ball travels completely horizontal? Or do I not understand this?
The impulse is the change in momentum of the baseball. You are to assume that [itex]\vec{v_i}[/itex] is completely horizontal and [itex]\vec{v_f}[/itex] is completely vertical.

Just draw the momentum vectors for the ball before and after the bat hits it. The impulse or change in momentum is the difference between these two vectors (ie. 'what vector added to [itex]\vec{v_i}[/itex] results in [itex]\vec{v_f}[/itex]?'). The impulse is the product of the bat force and the time interval over which it is applied ([itex]m\triangle \vec{v} = \vec{F_{bat}}\triangle t[/itex]).

AM

You are correct in assuming that the initial direction of the baseball is important in calculating the impulse. In this problem, the initial velocity of the baseball is given as (-25 m/s) x, which means it is moving in the negative x-direction (towards home plate). This information is necessary to calculate the magnitude and direction of the impulse delivered by the bat.

To calculate the magnitude of the impulse, we can use the formula I = m(vf - vi), where I is the impulse, m is the mass of the baseball, and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, respectively. Plugging in the given values, we get:

I = (0.14 kg)(13 m/s - (-25 m/s))
= (0.14 kg)(38 m/s)
= 5.32 kg m/s

To find the direction of the impulse, we can use the direction of the final velocity, which is in the positive y-direction (vertically upward). This means that the impulse is also in the positive y-direction.

In summary, the impulse delivered by the bat to the baseball has a magnitude of 5.32 kg m/s and a direction of positive y (vertically upward).

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of an impulse?

The magnitude of an impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time interval it was applied for. The formula is given as:
Impulse = Force x Time

2. Can the magnitude of an impulse ever be negative?

No, the magnitude of an impulse can never be negative. Since force and time are always positive values, the product of the two will also be positive. However, the direction of the impulse can be negative if the force is applied in the opposite direction of the motion.

3. How can the direction of an impulse be determined?

The direction of an impulse can be determined by looking at the direction of the force applied. The impulse will act in the same direction as the force.

4. Is the direction of an impulse always the same as the direction of the change in momentum?

Yes, the direction of an impulse is always the same as the direction of the change in momentum. This is because the impulse is defined as the change in momentum, and the direction of the force causing the impulse will also determine the direction of the change in momentum.

5. How does the magnitude of an impulse affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of an impulse affects an object's motion by changing its momentum. A larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, which can cause the object to accelerate or decelerate at a faster rate. This change in momentum can also result in a change in the object's velocity and direction of motion.