1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IMU -> rotation angle -> quaternions

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to determine the link between an IMU I have (tri-axis accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer) and determining its rotation using quaternions.

I've spent a while reading up on the IMU's properties, and quaternions, but I can't get my head around how the two meet.

So, scenario: I have my IMU collecting accelerometer data (in G's) and gyroscope data (in degrees/s) at 64Hz (for example, we're also ignoring magnetometer here). My IMU is sitting on a desk with x pointing away from me, y pointing to the left, and z point up to the sky. The accelerometer data will read x = 0, y = 0, z = 1 (due to gravity). I turn my IMU by 90° to the left (x pointing to the left, y pointing towards me, z still pointing up, data remains the same) and then put it on its side (x still pointing left, y pointing to the ground, z pointing towards me, data now x = 0, y = -1, z = 0. Gyroscope data of course changes during the movements.

Now, I know I need to do some form of double integration to get the acceleration to velocity and then position. But what exactly I'm not too sure. I assume once the necessary calculations have been performed they will be in an angular form which I can put into the quaternion equation.

Could someone please help me break down the task/math so that I can work out the rotation, please.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted