1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In a Dilemma

1. Nov 11, 2016 #1
    I'm 14 years old, and I would like to become a Theoretical Physicist. There is an issue though and I don't know what to do. The problem is in math/science "I have to take biology this year :(" class I am so bored they take the fun out of learning. Also everything is way way too slow I am teaching myself trigonometry at home sense school does nothing. I also don't get very good grades for 2 reasons, I am quite lazy and I don't do homework (I'm working on this and have started doing homework as I know I will need to start doing it if I want a degree), 2 I don't study/pay attention because of the reasons listed above. So what should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. As you've already said, do your homework!!! As you've discovered, not doing your homework WILL have a negative impact on your grades. Homework is often boring, true, but it is often the most effective way to learn something. There's just no getting around it, no matter who you are. Remember, even Einstein had to do his homework.

2. Bored? Challenge yourself. Take notes. Doodle diagrams. Ask yourself questions about the topic. "Why does that happen?" "How does this relate to what I've already learned?" Do something to get yourself engaged.

3. Try to get yourself interested in the subject. Don't really like biology? Try reading up on it a bit more. Did you know that certain viruses can forcibly integrate their DNA into your own?! They're like little stealthed APC's that infiltrate your cells to drop off sleeper agents that wait for a while and then take over all the machinery to make more APC's!

4. Look for applications of math and science in different areas, such as engineering. Maybe you'll stumble upon something really, really cool that you've never even heard of before and decide you want to be an engineer or something. Heck, I just analyzed the DNA of the HIV virus in a programming class of all things. You never know what you're going to find!

4. Nov 11, 2016 #3
    Thank you so much! The example you gave in the third paragraph interested me I guess I should read up more on school subjects. Also I procrastinate way too much and if I ever want to accomplish anything in life I know I will need to get rid of that habit. Tips?

5. Nov 11, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Join the club. I'm in college right now, and I've had to learn the hard way that if I come home I will NOT do anything related to school because of distractions. TV. Games. Whatever. I'd recommend setting aside even a little bit of time right after you get out of school (or as soon as you can after school) for homework, projects, or whatever. You shouldn't need to set aside hours and hours everyday. Something like 30 minutes would be probably be fine. If possible, find a spot with no TV and as few other distractions as possible. Do this even on the weekends and even if something isn't even due for a few more days. Start early and you won't have to rush through it.

6. Nov 11, 2016 #5
    Alright, I will try. Thanks!

7. Nov 11, 2016 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Too simple; do not procrastinate. Start you chores at the SOONEST opportunity. No delay!

8. Nov 11, 2016 #7
    Laziness is the enemy of accomplishment.

You need to learn to work hard on things you might not like at the time.

There is a lot of hard work between where you are now and becoming a theoretical physicist, and it isn't all fun.

9. Nov 11, 2016 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

One thing to add to what's been said is that there's a simple fact that you're going to have to sit through classes that you don't find inherently interesting if you want to pursue any kind of academic career at all. In principle, you should be able to minimize these as you have more choice with the school you attend for university, the specific program you enroll in, and the elective courses that you take, but you'll never eliminate them altogether.

Some classes are just not fun.

But as pointed out you can do things to try to make them interesting. One thing I've realized as I've grown older is that there was a lot of stuff that I didn't enjoy when I was younger simply because I didn't have a proper frame of reference or a background to appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted