Teen Struggling to Become a Theoretical Physicist?

In summary, the speaker, a 14-year-old interested in becoming a Theoretical Physicist, is struggling with boredom and laziness in their math and science classes. They are teaching themselves trigonometry at home and trying to improve their grades by doing homework. They are advised to challenge themselves, find interest in the subject, and avoid procrastination in order to achieve their goals.
Brent Lingenfelter
I'm 14 years old, and I would like to become a Theoretical Physicist. There is an issue though and I don't know what to do. The problem is in math/science "I have to take biology this year :(" class I am so bored they take the fun out of learning. Also everything is way way too slow I am teaching myself trigonometry at home sense school does nothing. I also don't get very good grades for 2 reasons, I am quite lazy and I don't do homework (I'm working on this and have started doing homework as I know I will need to start doing it if I want a degree), 2 I don't study/pay attention because of the reasons listed above. So what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. As you've already said, do your homework! As you've discovered, not doing your homework WILL have a negative impact on your grades. Homework is often boring, true, but it is often the most effective way to learn something. There's just no getting around it, no matter who you are. Remember, even Einstein had to do his homework.

2. Bored? Challenge yourself. Take notes. Doodle diagrams. Ask yourself questions about the topic. "Why does that happen?" "How does this relate to what I've already learned?" Do something to get yourself engaged.

3. Try to get yourself interested in the subject. Don't really like biology? Try reading up on it a bit more. Did you know that certain viruses can forcibly integrate their DNA into your own?! They're like little stealthed APC's that infiltrate your cells to drop off sleeper agents that wait for a while and then take over all the machinery to make more APC's!

4. Look for applications of math and science in different areas, such as engineering. Maybe you'll stumble upon something really, really cool that you've never even heard of before and decide you want to be an engineer or something. Heck, I just analyzed the DNA of the HIV virus in a programming class of all things. You never know what you're going to find!

Likes Brent Lingenfelter, CalcNerd, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
1. As you've already said, do your homework! As you've discovered, not doing your homework WILL have a negative impact on your grades. Homework is often boring, true, but it is often the most effective way to learn something. There's just no getting around it, no matter who you are. Remember, even Einstein had to do his homework.

2. Bored? Challenge yourself. Take notes. Doodle diagrams. Ask yourself questions about the topic. "Why does that happen?" "How does this relate to what I've already learned?" Do something to get yourself engaged.

3. Try to get yourself interested in the subject. Don't really like biology? Try reading up on it a bit more. Did you know that certain viruses can forcibly integrate their DNA into your own?! They're like little stealthed APC's that infiltrate your cells to drop off sleeper agents that wait for a while and then take over all the machinery to make more APC's!

4. Look for applications of math and science in different areas, such as engineering. Maybe you'll stumble upon something really, really cool that you've never even heard of before and decide you want to be an engineer or something. Heck, I just analyzed the DNA of the HIV virus in a programming class of all things. You never know what you're going to find!

Thank you so much! The example you gave in the third paragraph interested me I guess I should read up more on school subjects. Also I procrastinate way too much and if I ever want to accomplish anything in life I know I will need to get rid of that habit. Tips?

Brent Lingenfelter said:
Also I procrastinate way too much and if I ever want to accomplish anything in life I know I will need to get rid of that habit. Tips?

Join the club. I'm in college right now, and I've had to learn the hard way that if I come home I will NOT do anything related to school because of distractions. TV. Games. Whatever. I'd recommend setting aside even a little bit of time right after you get out of school (or as soon as you can after school) for homework, projects, or whatever. You shouldn't need to set aside hours and hours everyday. Something like 30 minutes would be probably be fine. If possible, find a spot with no TV and as few other distractions as possible. Do this even on the weekends and even if something isn't even due for a few more days. Start early and you won't have to rush through it.

Likes Brent Lingenfelter and Dale
Alright, I will try. Thanks!

Brent Lingenfelter said:
Thank you so much! The example you gave in the third paragraph interested me I guess I should read up more on school subjects. Also I procrastinate way too much and if I ever want to accomplish anything in life I know I will need to get rid of that habit. Tips?
Too simple; do not procrastinate. Start you chores at the SOONEST opportunity. No delay!

Likes Brent Lingenfelter
Laziness is the enemy of accomplishment.

You need to learn to work hard on things you might not like at the time.

There is a lot of hard work between where you are now and becoming a theoretical physicist, and it isn't all fun.

Likes Brent Lingenfelter
Brent Lingenfelter said:
I'm 14 years old, and I would like to become a Theoretical Physicist. There is an issue though and I don't know what to do. The problem is in math/science "I have to take biology this year :(" class I am so bored they take the fun out of learning. Also everything is way way too slow I am teaching myself trigonometry at home sense school does nothing. I also don't get very good grades for 2 reasons, I am quite lazy and I don't do homework (I'm working on this and have started doing homework as I know I will need to start doing it if I want a degree), 2 I don't study/pay attention because of the reasons listed above. So what should I do?

One thing to add to what's been said is that there's a simple fact that you're going to have to sit through classes that you don't find inherently interesting if you want to pursue any kind of academic career at all. In principle, you should be able to minimize these as you have more choice with the school you attend for university, the specific program you enroll in, and the elective courses that you take, but you'll never eliminate them altogether.

Some classes are just not fun.

But as pointed out you can do things to try to make them interesting. One thing I've realized as I've grown older is that there was a lot of stuff that I didn't enjoy when I was younger simply because I didn't have a proper frame of reference or a background to appreciate it.

Likes Brent Lingenfelter

What is a theoretical physicist?

A theoretical physicist is a scientist who uses mathematical models and theories to study and explain the behavior of physical systems. They often work in fields such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

What skills are necessary for a teenager to become a theoretical physicist?

To become a theoretical physicist, a teenager should have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and computer programming. They should also have a passion for physics and a curiosity to understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

What education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

A teenager interested in becoming a theoretical physicist will need to pursue a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. They will then need to continue their education with a graduate degree in theoretical physics, such as a Master's or Ph.D.

What are some common challenges for a teenager pursuing a career in theoretical physics?

Some common challenges for a teenager pursuing a career in theoretical physics include the intense level of competition, the complexity of the subject matter, and the requirement for advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, the amount of time and dedication required to pursue a career in this field can be challenging for a young person.

What advice would you give to a teenager struggling to become a theoretical physicist?

My advice would be to stay persistent, work hard, and seek guidance from experienced physicists and mentors. It is also essential to continue learning and staying updated on the latest research and developments in the field. Remember that the path to becoming a theoretical physicist is a long and challenging one, but the rewards of understanding the fundamental laws of the universe are worth it.