Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In a grand unification theory, what are algebraic equations of the various forces

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    gravity: Fg = GM1M2/r^2
    electro-magnetic:
    weak force:
    strong force:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2
    I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Physics is way, way more complicated then that.

-Newton's law of gravity is incorrect. What is currently accepted as the correct description of gravity is Einstein's general relativity which is extremely mathematically complicated but the basic field equation looks like: [itex]R_{\mu \nu} - {1 \over 2}g_{\mu \nu}\,R + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}[/itex]

-The electro-magnetic forces are governed by QED which, for lack of a better desciption is quantum mechanics with a coulumb force which has been quantized.

-As for weak and strong I actually have no idea, it's never been relevant for me but I know they're both notoriously convoluted.

Plus, we don't have a grand unified theory. general relativity does not mesh with quantum field theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook