In a hard place: need advice

In summary, the speaker is a student who took a break from school after a major life experience. They initially studied software engineering and finance, but transferred to a school in DC to study international relations. After working and doing internships, they realized their passion for math and are now considering pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics. They are wondering if they can finish their current degree and then take additional math courses at a university before applying to a math graduate program, or if they should switch majors and potentially take longer to graduate. They are seeking advice from the physics forum as it has a strong community of mathematicians.
damit
I am currently a student taking a break from school. Last year I had a major life altering experience and after which i decided to take a break from my studies till my mind was settled. When I started my undergraduate track I went to a tech school in NY and had decided on studying software engineering doubled with finance. A few honors courses in political science and at the end of the year decided to transfer and go for my BA instead. I ended up going to a school in dc studying international relations which now i term (international ********), sort of a midlife crises I guess. Well after working and doing a few internships I hate it, I actually hated most of my courses but forced myself through them as I fooled myself that by studying this material I will be able to make a change. Anyhow my work experience in HS is that I had my own business developing networks and accounting systems for other businesses. I have realized that this stuff which I was gifted in doing, is what makes me happy because it was heavily influenced by math.
I believe my problem is in the fact that I want to go to graduate school and study Mathematics. Mathematics makes my day brighter, when math courses were part of my curriculum i tended to do better in all my other courses. I want to know if it would be possible and/or better for me to finish my current degree track as I only have 6-8 courses and still get into graduate school for math.
I want to know that if i go this route can I just take math courses at a university after graduating, do well in them and then apply to a graduate math program without having the need to actually acquire another undergrad degree in math. The second option which is rather drastic would be to drop from my current university, as I am on a leave of absence, or stay and just switch majors. If I do switch majors I will need to take two more years to graduate as I will need to fulfill different requirements. All in all I do want to save time.
I understand that I am asking a question about pursuing math on a physics forum, however, the advice you guys provide to aspiring physicists seems to be very good and it seems there are many mathematicians on this forum.
If you can please help shed some light on my situation I would much appreciate it.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I sent you a message about this. Message me back ;)

First of all, I want to commend you for taking the time to reassess your academic path and recognize what truly makes you happy. It takes a lot of courage to step back and make a change, especially when it comes to education.

In terms of pursuing mathematics, I believe it is definitely possible for you to get into a graduate program without acquiring another undergraduate degree in math. Many graduate programs look at the overall strength and potential of an applicant, rather than just their specific undergraduate degree. So if you can demonstrate a strong aptitude and passion for mathematics, as well as potentially taking some math courses at a university after graduating, I believe you would have a good chance of being accepted into a graduate program.

However, I also understand your desire to save time and not spend two more years in school. In this case, it may be worth considering switching majors and taking the extra time to complete a math degree. This would not only give you a solid foundation in math, but also potentially open up more opportunities for graduate programs and future career paths.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it's important to weigh the pros and cons of each option. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or someone in the math department at your university to get their perspective and advice.

In any case, I want to encourage you to follow your passion and not be afraid to make changes in pursuit of your true interests and happiness. Good luck with your decision and future academic pursuits!

1. What does it mean to be in a "hard place"?

Being in a hard place can refer to a difficult or challenging situation that someone is currently experiencing.

2. How can I seek advice when I am in a hard place?

You can seek advice by talking to friends, family, or a professional counselor. You can also do research online, read self-help books, or attend support groups.

3. What are some common reasons for needing advice when in a hard place?

Some common reasons for needing advice when in a hard place may include feeling overwhelmed, unsure of how to handle a situation, or needing guidance on making important decisions.

4. How can I make sure the advice I receive is helpful and reliable?

To ensure that the advice you receive is helpful and reliable, it is important to seek advice from trusted sources, do thorough research, and consider different perspectives. It can also be helpful to discuss the advice with someone you trust before making any decisions.

5. What should I do if I am not comfortable seeking advice from others?

If you are not comfortable seeking advice from others, you can try journaling, meditating, or practicing self-reflection to gain clarity and perspective on your situation. Additionally, you can seek advice from online forums or helplines where you can remain anonymous.