What Is a 'Jiffy'? Exploring its Many Uses

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the History Channel program Modern Marvels "Measure It" discussed a unit of measurement called the Jiffy. This unit has different definitions in different fields, including being the time between alternating current power cycles, the duration of one tick of the system timer interrupt in computing, and the time it takes for light to travel one fermi in astrophysics and quantum physics. It is not related to being somewhere quickly, as commonly thought.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm watching the History Channel program Modern Marvels "Measure It" and learned there is a unit of measurement called the Jiffy. :rofl:
In electronics, a jiffy is the time between alternating current power cycles, 1/60 or 1/50 of a second...

In computing, a jiffy is the duration of one tick of the system timer interrupt.

In astrophysics and quantum physics a jiffy is, as defined by Edward R. Harrison,[5] the time it takes for light to travel one fermi, which is the size of a nucleon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiffy_%28time%29" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So every time I told someone I would be there in a jiffy, I was lying.

Who knew?

my life is in shambles from this revelation.

Is it also a derivative of a jerk?

I can confirm that the term "jiffy" is used in various fields of science and technology to refer to different measurements of time. In electronics, it is commonly used to measure the time between alternating current power cycles, while in computing it refers to the duration of one tick of the system timer interrupt. In astrophysics and quantum physics, it is defined as the time it takes for light to travel one fermi, which is the size of a nucleon.

The concept of a jiffy has been widely used in these fields due to its convenience and ease of use. However, it is important to note that the precise definition and measurement of a jiffy may vary depending on the context in which it is used. Therefore, it is crucial to specify the specific definition being used when discussing or utilizing the concept of a jiffy in scientific research or applications.

What is a 'Jiffy'?

A 'Jiffy' is a unit of time measurement equivalent to 1/100th of a second, or a very short amount of time. It is also used as a colloquial term to mean a brief moment or a short period of time.

What are some common uses for a 'Jiffy'?

One common use for a 'Jiffy' is in computing and technology, where it is used to measure the speed of operations or the delay between actions. It is also commonly used in the food industry to measure the time it takes for a food product to cook or bake.

How long is a 'Jiffy'?

The exact length of a 'Jiffy' can vary depending on the context and the field of study. In physics, a 'Jiffy' is defined as the time it takes for light to travel one centimeter in a vacuum, which is approximately 33.3564 picoseconds. In computing, a 'Jiffy' can refer to the time it takes for one clock cycle to occur, which can vary depending on the processor speed.

Is a 'Jiffy' a universally recognized unit of time?

No, a 'Jiffy' is not a universally recognized unit of time. It is primarily used in informal contexts and may have different definitions depending on the field of study or industry. In some cases, it may be used as a rough approximation of time rather than an exact measurement.

How did the term 'Jiffy' originate?

The origin of the term 'Jiffy' is uncertain, but it is believed to have first appeared in the late 18th century. It may have originated from the word 'jiff', which is a slang term for a brief moment or a short amount of time. The term gained popularity in the 20th century with the rise of scientific and technological advancements.