Understanding RLC Circuits: Series vs Parallel

In summary: In a parallel RLC the voltage across all of the components is the same. So the voltage across the inductor is the same as the resistor voltage, which is proportional to the resistor current. But V = L(di/dt) for the inductor, which means that when the voltage across it is > 0 the inductor current is increasing V > 0, so di/di > 0. We also know that all of the voltages and currents are sinusoidal waves (assuming no non-sinusoidal driving source). So you can sketch the resistor current and use these rules to infer what the resulting inductor current will be.
hidemi
Homework Statement
In a parallel RLC circuit, where IR = IR, max sin(ωt), the current through the inductor, IL, is

A) IL = −IL, max sin(ωt)

B) IL = IL, max sin(ωt)

C) IL = −IL, max cos(ωt)

D) IL = IL, max cos(ωt)

E) IL = IL, max tan(ωt)
Relevant Equations
I = Imax * sin(wt)
I'm a bit confused with RLC circuit.
If in series, IL = IL, max * cos(wt)
If in parallel, IL = - IL, max * cos(wt)
Are these correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a parallel RLC the voltage across all of the components is the same. So the voltage across the inductor is the same as the resistor voltage, which is proportional to the resistor current. But V = L(di/dt) for the inductor, which means that when the voltage across it is > 0 the inductor current is increasing V > 0, so di/di > 0. We also know that all of the voltages and currents are sinusoidal waves (assuming no non-sinusoidal driving source). So you can sketch the resistor current and use these rules to infer what the resulting inductor current will be.

DaveE said:
In a parallel RLC the voltage across all of the components is the same. So the voltage across the inductor is the same as the resistor voltage, which is proportional to the resistor current. But V = L(di/dt) for the inductor, which means that when the voltage across it is > 0 the inductor current is increasing V > 0, so di/di > 0. We also know that all of the voltages and currents are sinusoidal waves (assuming no non-sinusoidal driving source). So you can sketch the resistor current and use these rules to infer what the resulting inductor current will be.
Thanks for replying.
I wonder why there's a negative sign needed in front of IL ( IL = −IL, max cos(ωt) ).
Comparing to the following question, there is no negative sign needed in front of Ic. Why?

Q2:
In a parallel RLC circuit, where IR = IR, max sin(ωt), the current through the capacitor, Ic, is

The answer is: Ic = Ic, max cos(ωt)

hidemi said:
Thanks for replying.
I wonder why there's a negative sign needed in front of IL ( IL = −IL, max cos(ωt) ).
Comparing to the following question, there is no negative sign needed in front of Ic. Why?

Q2:
In a parallel RLC circuit, where IR = IR, max sin(ωt), the current through the capacitor, Ic, is

The answer is: Ic = Ic, max cos(ωt)
The difference lies in the relationship between the voltage and the current for each of those components.

Resistors: v = R⋅i, or i = v/R
Inductors: v = L⋅(di/dt), or i = (1/L)⋅∫v⋅dt
Capacitors: v = (1/C)⋅∫i⋅dt, or i = C⋅(dv/dt)

Notice the symmetry (or duality) between capacitors and inductors. The equations are essentially the same if you interchange voltage and current. There are many ways to describe this, but I think the best is for you to just graph the voltage ( v = R⋅i ), which is equal for all of the components in the parallel circuit. Then sketch in what the other curves must look like, since you know what dv/dt and ∫v⋅dt will look like. If you are more comfortable with one for vs. the other, you could work this backwards, where you sketch one of the currents and then figure out what the corresponding voltage must be.

The more analytical (mathematical) approach is to recall the derivatives and integrals for the sinusoids:
(d/dt)sin(t) = cos(t), (d/dt)cos(t) = -sin(t), ∫sin(t)⋅dt = -cos(t), ∫cos(t)⋅dt = sin(t); [ignoring integration constants]

This sort of understanding of the v - i relationship in these different components is key. It is the only way to really understand reactive circuits.

Likes hidemi and 2milehi
As attached, I replaced the symbols of y axes that was used to represent RLC circuit in series, and now the graphs are for RLC circuit in parallel. I'd like to make sure I understand what you stated. thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 125
hidemi said:
As attached, I replaced the symbols of y axes that was used to represent RLC circuit in series, and now the graphs are for RLC circuit in parallel. I'd like to make sure I understand what you stated. thanks.
I think it's OK. But there's no real way for me to say for sure, since you never defined what those variables are. In particular polarity. Is your inductor current pointing up, down, left, right? Plus I have absolutely no idea what ΔIL is. If you are going to show mathematically functions to describe circuit parameters, you must clearly define what those labels mean, or nobody will know what you are talking about. Circuit questions should always include a schematic diagram with variables labeled (particularly polarities).

Also, you include a 4th current ΔIL, which appears to have a small phase shift from the 0, π/2, π, -π/2 values. I don't understand how this applies to a parallel RLC circuit. You need to explain your problem as well as your answer. Otherwise we will assume it's the normal, most common, form, which, in this case, has no ΔIL (as I would define it).

Likes hidemi
DaveE said:
I think it's OK. But there's no real way for me to say for sure, since you never defined what those variables are. In particular polarity. Is your inductor current pointing up, down, left, right? Plus I have absolutely no idea what ΔIL is. If you are going to show mathematically functions to describe circuit parameters, you must clearly define what those labels mean, or nobody will know what you are talking about. Circuit questions should always include a schematic diagram with variables labeled (particularly polarities).

Also, you include a 4th current ΔIL, which appears to have a small phase shift from the 0, π/2, π, -π/2 values. I don't understand how this applies to a parallel RLC circuit. You need to explain your problem as well as your answer. Otherwise we will assume it's the normal, most common, form, which, in this case, has no ΔIL (as I would define it).
Thank you! I think i have a better understanding of it based upon your comments and guiding questions.

Likes DaveE

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, all of the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in succession. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the same voltage applied across each component.

2. Which type of RLC circuit is more commonly used in real-world applications?

Both series and parallel RLC circuits have their own advantages and are used in different applications. However, parallel RLC circuits are more commonly used in real-world applications, as they allow for easier control of individual components and can handle higher currents.

3. How does the impedance differ between series and parallel RLC circuits?

In a series RLC circuit, the impedance is the sum of the individual impedances of the components. In a parallel RLC circuit, the impedance is calculated using the reciprocal of the sum of the individual reciprocal impedances.

4. What is the resonance frequency of a series RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of a series RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This frequency can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√LC), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance.

5. How does the power dissipation differ between series and parallel RLC circuits?

In a series RLC circuit, the power dissipation is higher due to the current flowing through all of the components. In a parallel RLC circuit, the power dissipation is lower as the current is divided among the different branches. However, care must be taken to ensure that each component can handle the current it receives.