In an inelastic collision momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy isn't?

In summary, in an inelastic collision, momentum is conserved as the sum of momentum before the collision will equal the sum of momentum after the collision. However, kinetic energy is not conserved as there is a transfer of energy from kinetic to thermal/sound. Total energy, on the other hand, is still conserved. In a 1D collision, vector quantities do not become scalar quantities as there is still a direction involved.
student34
In an inelastic collision momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy isn't?

Here is a simple example about my issue with this. 1g ball (ball A) moving west at 10m/s hits another 1g ball (ball B) moving east at 10m/s. After the collision, ball A moves east at 3m/s, and ball B moves west at 3m/s.

My understanding is that momentum is conserved because the sum of momentum before the collision will equal the sum of momentum after the collision. If that is correct, then why doesn't it work that way with kinetic energy? Regarding the example above, isn't the net kinetic energy of the system 0m/s before the collision and 0m/s after the collision?

In other words, my stubborn intuition tells me that there should be no difference between a vector quantity and a scalar quantity in a two dimensional collision.

Physics news on Phys.org

student34 said:
Regarding the example above, isn't the net kinetic energy of the system 0m/s before the collision and 0m/s after the collision?
No, the KE of the system is the sum of the KEs of each ball. In your example, the KE is positive before and after the collision. KE doesn't have a direction and cannot 'cancel'.
In other words, my stubborn intuition tells me that there should be no difference between a vector quantity and a scalar quantity in a two dimensional collision.
I guess your intuition is way off!

Hi,
in an inelastic collision momentum and KE aren't conserved because the system isn't considered as isolated.

phhoton said:
Hi,
in an inelastic collision momentum and KE aren't conserved because the system isn't considered as isolated.
No, there's nothing about an inelastic collision that implies that the system isn't isolated. Inelastic just means that KE isn't conserved; momentum still is.

I know that four-momentum is conserved but I didn't know momentum is conserved too.

I'm sorry. I forgot that momentum means "quantité de mouvement". I thought that momentum means moment. Excuse me.

student34 said:
Here is a simple example about my issue with this. 1g ball (ball A) moving west at 10m/s hits another 1g ball (ball B) moving east at 10m/s. After the collision, ball A moves east at 3m/s, and ball B moves west at 3m/s.

My understanding is that momentum is conserved because the sum of momentum before the collision will equal the sum of momentum after the collision. If that is correct, then why doesn't it work that way with kinetic energy? Regarding the example above, isn't the net kinetic energy of the system 0m/s before the collision and 0m/s after the collision?

Okay, first I guess you actually mean a 1D collision, not a 2D collision.

Vector quantities do not becomes the same as scalar quantities in 1D situations. There is still a direction, it's just that there are only two options : moving left or moving right.

The momentum of a ball moving to the left at 3 m/s is not the same as the momentum of the ball moving to the right at 3 m/s: they are equal but opposite. The kinetic energy is, of course, the same, since that does not depend on direction.

Kinetic energy isn't conserved because there is a transfer of energy from one type to another - from kinetic to thermal/sound. That is the very definition of an inelastic collision. Total energy is, of course, conserved.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the initial kinetic energy of the colliding objects is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat, sound, or deformation.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the combined mass and velocity of the objects remains the same, even though their kinetic energy may have changed.

3. Why isn't kinetic energy conserved in an inelastic collision?

Kinetic energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision because some of the initial kinetic energy is transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This is due to the presence of external forces, such as friction, that dissipate the energy of the objects.

4. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total mass and velocity of the objects before the collision are equal to the total mass and velocity after the collision. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, while kinetic energy is not.

5. Can an inelastic collision occur without any external forces?

No, an inelastic collision cannot occur without external forces. In order for kinetic energy to be lost, there must be some external force, such as friction or deformation, acting on the objects during the collision. In the absence of external forces, the collision would be perfectly elastic and both momentum and kinetic energy would be conserved.