In-compressible Fluid Flow

In summary, The conversation is about calculating the volumetric flow rate of a pipe using the Bernoulli equation, but the speaker does not have enough information to solve the problem. They will need to know the pressure at two locations in the pipe and use the Bernoulli equation to calculate the velocity. The speaker also discusses the relationship between pressure, shear stress, and friction factor in turbulent flow, and mentions the importance of the Reynolds number in this calculation.
tironel
A little help.

I want to calculate the volumetric flow rate (SCFM (standard cubic feet per minute) of a pipe knowing the pressure inside the pipe as well as the diameter of the pipe. I know
Q=vA

Where v is velocity and A cross sectional area.

However, I need help finding out my velocity from my known pressure. I also know that water is the media that is being used inside the pipe. Can I relate the velocity back to the pressure via density? Any help please.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you need is the Bernoulli equation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html

But it sounds like you don't have enough information to solve the problem. You'll need to know the pressure at two locations in the pipe in order to calculate the velocity.

Smed said:
What you need is the Bernoulli equation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html

But it sounds like you don't have enough information to solve the problem. You'll need to know the pressure at two locations in the pipe in order to calculate the velocity.

The pressure drop in the pipe is 4L/D times the shear stress at the wall τ

The shear stress at the wall τ is equal to the friction factor f times ρV2/2

For turbulent flow, the friction factor f is equal to 0.0791/Re0.8, where Re is the Reynolds number

The Reynolds number is equal to the density ρ times the average velocity V times the diameter, divided by the viscosity

1. What is an in-compressible fluid flow?

An in-compressible fluid flow is a type of fluid flow where the density of the fluid remains constant throughout the flow. This means that the fluid cannot be compressed or expanded, and its volume remains constant. Examples of in-compressible fluids include water and oil.

2. How is in-compressible fluid flow different from compressible fluid flow?

In-compressible fluid flow is different from compressible fluid flow in that the density of the fluid remains constant in in-compressible flow, while it changes in compressible flow. In-compressible flow also has a lower Mach number, which measures the ratio of the fluid's speed to the speed of sound, compared to compressible flow.

3. What are some applications of in-compressible fluid flow?

In-compressible fluid flow has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in hydraulic systems, such as in car brakes and elevators, to transmit force and motion. It is also used in pumps and turbines to transfer energy. In-compressible fluid flow is also important in aerodynamics, as it is the flow of air over an airplane wing that creates lift.

4. How is in-compressible fluid flow analyzed and studied?

In-compressible fluid flow is studied using the principles of fluid mechanics. This involves using equations such as the continuity equation and Bernoulli's equation to analyze the flow behavior. In addition, numerical methods, such as computational fluid dynamics, are often used to simulate and study in-compressible fluid flow in complex systems.

5. What are some real-life examples of in-compressible fluid flow?

In-compressible fluid flow is present in many natural and man-made systems. Some examples include the flow of water in a river, the circulation of blood in our bodies, and the flow of oil in pipelines. In-compressible fluid flow is also important in processes such as mixing and stirring liquids in a container, and in the operation of water turbines in hydroelectric power plants.