Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In-compressible Fluid Flow

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    A little help.

I want to calculate the volumetric flow rate (SCFM (standard cubic feet per minute) of a pipe knowing the pressure inside the pipe as well as the diameter of the pipe. I know
    Where v is velocity and A cross sectional area.

However, I need help finding out my velocity from my known pressure. I also know that water is the media that is being used inside the pipe. Can I relate the velocity back to the pressure via density? Any help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2
    What you need is the Bernoulli equation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html

But it sounds like you don't have enough information to solve the problem. You'll need to know the pressure at two locations in the pipe in order to calculate the velocity.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    The pressure drop in the pipe is 4L/D times the shear stress at the wall τ

The shear stress at the wall τ is equal to the friction factor f times ρV2/2

For turbulent flow, the friction factor f is equal to 0.0791/Re0.8, where Re is the Reynolds number

The Reynolds number is equal to the density ρ times the average velocity V times the diameter, divided by the viscosity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook