In Honor of Mothers Day

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
SOS2008
Gold Member
As Mother’s Day approaches in the U.S., I was wondering if/how this tradition may be practiced in other countries. And I began to compile some humorous things to email to my mother such as:

http://img143.echo.cx/img143/2040/1deb4hs.jpg

http://img143.echo.cx/img143/7396/2deb9or.jpg

http://img143.echo.cx/img143/4332/8deb6kz.jpg

And then I thought maybe I could collect additional humor from other members when I saw this:

Huckleberry said:
...Was my mom the only one who said "It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye." :yuck:
Wha-da-ya say -- Help out and share the things your mothers have said…

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Aaaaack! Mother's Day! When? Gotta get a card or something...

:rolleyes: That quote is taken way out of context. You make it seem almost innocent.

But seriously, I think my mom could use a good 'pick me up'. I'll have to send her something, or go visit maybe. That would be a surprise. :smile:

JamesU
Gold Member
When the hell is mother's day?!?!?! :grumpy:

May 8th. Ever heard of google? ;-p

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
May 8th. Ever heard of google? ;-p

Oh, phew! I have at least 2 weeks to remember to get a card, remember to sign the card, remember to address and put a stamp on the card, remember I don't have stamps, remember to take the card to the post office to buy stamps and stick one on, and to remember to call mom and tell her the card will be a little late. :biggrin:

SOS2008
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Oh, phew! I have at least 2 weeks to remember to get a card, remember to sign the card, remember to address and put a stamp on the card, remember I don't have stamps, remember to take the card to the post office to buy stamps and stick one on, and to remember to call mom and tell her the card will be a little late. :biggrin:
And thus a two-week advance start! :biggrin:

JamesU
Gold Member
Moonbear said:

I guess you have a tight schedule...

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yomamma said:
I guess you have a tight schedule...

More like a leaky memory. I had no idea how quickly the absent-minded professor gene gets upregulated upon taking a faculty appointment. They must spike the water in our coffee with the inducer.

JamesU
Gold Member
How often do you check this forum?

Evo
Mentor
I trained my mom to go with the electronic cards. That works quite well. She likes computers.

SOS2008
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
More like a leaky memory. I had no idea how quickly the absent-minded professor gene gets upregulated upon taking a faculty appointment. They must spike the water in our coffee with the inducer.
Well just as long as it isn't salt peter--for cryin' out loud, please let the intelligent individuals of our species reproduce for a change :bugeye: !

SOS2008
Gold Member
Evo said:
I trained my mom to go with the electronic cards. That works quite well. She likes computers.
:rofl: :rofl: Wait until you see what your offspring does for you over the years... :uhh:

I don't remember being told the underwear thing (in case I got into an accident), but I do remember the one about "if all my friends jumped off a cliff would I jump too?"

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SOS2008 said:
Well just as long as it isn't salt peter--for cryin' out loud, please let the intelligent individuals of our species reproduce for a change :bugeye: !

I don't think the water is the problem there. :uhh:

I don't remember being told the underwear thing (in case I got into an accident), but I do remember the one about "if all my friends jumped off a cliff would I jump too?"

Sadly, the answer nowadays would be a resounding, "YES!"

honestrosewater
Gold Member
My mother always used to say, "Shut up and bring me a beer."

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you fall out of that tree and break your neck, don't come crying to me!
We have four kids but only three that we admit to.
Your dad was just poking in fun but I took him seriously. So we had you.
The milkman was your father.

Sorry. Misguided message.

Ivan Seeking said:
The milkman was your father.
We used to tell our youngest brother that. Apparently I was raised in a barn. :rofl:

Danger
Gold Member
SOS2008 said:
Wha-da-ya say -- Help out and share the things your mothers have said…
I don't think that my mother ever offered cliched words of advice, other than to take a piss last thing before leaving for a road trip. It was more of a lead by example thing. The kind of interactions that I have with you guys are exactly what it was like growing up, except for the suggestiveness. She was brought up the same way. The family's primary sport was sharpening their wits on each other. (Her term.)
She turned 92 in October and you can't kill her with a stick. About all there is left to give her any more is flowers, but luckily she loves them.

JamesU
Gold Member
My mom never taught me any words of advice. And then when I got in trouble she'd say "didn't I tell you...!" :uhh: